Zipper

Snake Identification

My buddy saw this guy on the golf course in South Carolina. He thinks it's a copperhead.

FB_IMG_1555254087929.jpg

I really cant see the shape of the head but with the markings it could also be a corn snake..  but I'm no expert

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

2 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

Here is a corn snake. Markings do look similar. 

Screenshot_20190414-112335_Chrome.jpg

That's why I mentioned the head..  if its shaped more like an arrow it's a copper head if it's more in line with body its corn snake

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

it could also be a corn snake..  

That would be my guess too.  The other possibility is the eastern milk snake.  Not a copperhead though.    

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Big bastard. Not a copperhead, I agree..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zipper said:

My buddy saw this guy on the golf course in South Carolina. He thinks it's a copperhead.

FB_IMG_1555254087929.jpg

Well what I have found is Copperheads and Rattlesnakes are usually short and fat, I think the longest Rattlesnake I have ever seen was 4 feet long but very thick . Even this copperhead in this picture is less then 4 feet long but it has a thick body. Both of these were by my house in Stillwater NJ, I am no expert on snakes but I know enough not to touch them , if they are on a road I scoot them off, if in the woods I retreat and walk around ( With my eyes a little more open !) them .

My neighbor got bit in the leg by a copperhead 4 years ago ( in his vegetable garden) and was in the hospital for 5 days, walked with a cane for 3 months and still walks a little funny today, they are serious.

Well last weekend I actually put a camera on a Rattlesnake den that I found 3 years ago, it had about 8 Rattlesnakes coiled up, they were all like 15 inches long but you can see from the picture the triangle shape head. Don’t even know why they were all coiled up ? Well last weekend on the AT it was 76 on Saturday then when I went up to put the camera out on Sunday it was Sleeting and snowing on me so I did not have to worry about snakes being out!

I always heard Rattlesnakes stay in the den for life and I put a camera on the entrance, we shall see, the first 3 pictures are Copperheads, #4 Rattlesnake, #5 Rattlesnake den and 

#6 needs no explanation !

Good Luck !

9F7111DC-2BDF-4A47-B9D3-BEA216F931AB.jpeg

750DD42E-C2BF-4FEA-809F-5825A53C4B71.jpeg

D1A6B4ED-14D6-4482-9CDB-5B84D0C880F5.jpeg

BE236FFF-6412-4E6B-ADFC-9C6BC996ED1D.jpeg

40A1833E-027B-41F1-9668-EE1E42DE1529.jpeg

9ACC5160-1A2E-4B88-A1F1-96A8FD9F3413.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Winner 1