BHC

Ordered A New Pot Call

Posted (edited)

I needed a new pot call, for the life of me I can't find my older one. I'm not one to spend a great deal of money on calls for something I hunt maybe three times per year. This call actually got very good reviews thru out the internet.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRIMOS-241-TURKEY-CALL-POT-STYLE-BAMBOOZLED-GLASS/254181991286?epid=1337565359&hash=item3b2e6d6376:g:8rkAAOSwu~lcnrwn

Edited by BHC
  • Like 2

Not knocking the call at all but in my short 5 seasons of Turkey hunting I have learned in my experience to rely less and less on commercially available calls and have sought custom call makers..  in my experience at the start of the season almost any call will work fine but as days go on the calls that every one has gets less and less responses as the pitch and sound are constantly being herd by the same birds over and over..  perfect example last year me and a friend went and he was using a primos slate he got at dicks not sure wich one and once birds hit the ground nothing..  I met him and used a custom glass and right away had birds fired up and coming in..  I've also had primos mouth calls not get a response on a walk around a well known field switch to a wood haven or uncle dickies on the way back and right away one fires off..  maybe it's just coincidence maybe I'm on to something who knows. 

I'm not great at calling....The call I can't find was a Drury MAD crystal, always had birds talk back....Mouth calls I use Flextone, have a few custom ones given to me as well

2 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Not knocking the call at all but in my short 5 seasons of Turkey hunting I have learned in my experience to rely less and less on commercially available calls and have sought custom call makers..  in my experience at the start of the season almost any call will work fine but as days go on the calls that every one has gets less and less responses as the pitch and sound are constantly being herd by the same birds over and over..  perfect example last year me and a friend went and he was using a primos slate he got at dicks not sure wich one and once birds hit the ground nothing..  I met him and used a custom glass and right away had birds fired up and coming in..  I've also had primos mouth calls not get a response on a walk around a well known field switch to a wood haven or uncle dickies on the way back and right away one fires off..  maybe it's just coincidence maybe I'm on to something who knows. 

Sorry but even some of the worst calls made sound better than many real turkeys .

much of it’s when , and the cadence of your calling ..

i have more calls than I could ever carry , customs and commercially made , they have all taken LOTS of birds.

my father shot all his birds for over 30 years with the same crappy push button call .

he didn’t use anything but it .

3 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Sorry but even some of the worst calls made sound better than many real turkeys .

i have more calls than I could ever carry , customs and commercially made , they have all taken LOTS of birds.

my father shot all his birds for over 30 years with the same crappy push button call .

Agreed hammer I've had Henson that I thought were other hunters calling coming in..  what I am saying that if birds here the same call over and over that it makes them nervous..  again could just be me but it's been working

Agree with Dan 100% . Hunted with a guy that sounded like shit calling but he knew the right cadence and was just a really good hunter. He killed plenty of birds with his yak attack as I called it . 

Posted (edited)

My buddy swears by the fighting purr call by Knight & Hale

download (1).jpeg

Edited by LPJR

I have a box call and a slate/glass pot call from a local guy, Uncle Dickie.  They cost about the same as commercial calls and get the job done for me.  So, I think you find a call that works for you and have fun. 

2 minutes ago, Merkel said:

I have a box call and a slate/glass pot call from a local guy, Uncle Dickie.  They cost about the same as commercial calls and get the job done for me.  So, I think you find a call that works for you and have fun. 

I have a purple heart box from uncle Dickie great call

• Like 1

Like anything else, use what you have confidence in.  I like to collect custom calls and in my opinion a custom call from a good callmaker is going to sound better and be easier to use than 99% of off the shelf calls.  That said, off the shelf calls kill  birds all the time so who knows.  Kinda like fishing... an ugly stick can catch all sorts of fish but most guys qould prefer to use a Loomis, St Croix etc..  

I've got a ton of calls from some of the best callmakers out there so if anyone wants a soundfile of one, let me know what you are interested in and I'll post a few.  

• Like 1

I like to use different calls through out the season when I’m hunting the same area so the birds don’t get use to the same calls, I usually carry 2 or 3 pot calls slate or crystal along with a couple mouth calls and a box call.

i have a few custom calls some I like some I don’t. My go to right now is woodhaven not a custom call but a good solid made call.

I carry 4 pot calls 5 or 6 mouth calls a wing bone call sometimes a box call and only use one.   AGAIN I SAY... the call you're using doesn't matter!  What matters is you look cool using it :acclaim:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

When the boyz are going they will gobble at a truck door closing. Turkeys do what turkeys do when they want to do what they feel like doing whenever they feel like doing it. That's what makes it exciting, you never know what you are going to get

On 4/14/2019 at 10:56 AM, vdep217 said:

I agree with this. Production calls surely work but custom if done properly have lots more quality control. They sound better, look better and are matched to a particular striker

On 4/14/2019 at 11:02 AM, hammer4reel said:

This may be true. How many more may he have killed??????

bet lots that coulda drove home in his truck were left in woods.