hammer4reel

Where are the gobblers

Have had fantastic turkey hunting at my PA spot for as many years as I can remember .

always a bunch of mature gobblers and twice as many jakes .

last spring we had hens around us daily and didn’t hear a Tom .

this spring there are at least 6 hens roosted around our creek .

yet haven’t seen anything but those hens .again not a single gobbler .

pretty weird to constantly see the ladies without a Tom following them around.

1 minute ago, hammer4reel said:

Have had fantastic turkey hunting at my PA spot for as many years as I can remember .

always a bunch of mature gobblers and twice as many jakes .

last spring we had hens around us daily and didn’t hear a Tom .

this spring there are at least 6 hens roosted around our creek .

yet haven’t seen anything but those hens .again not a single gobbler .

pretty weird to constantly see the ladies without a Tom following them around.

KBfishing has them all. See his post

• Haha 1

I must say, where I hunt I had a very good amount of gobblers around from spring thru deer season,  this year I only heard one gobble. Near where I live there is a place with no hunting allowed,  I would see and hear many gobblers,  well I only seen and heard one, that was last week. This morning took a ride, saw one bird in a cut corn field on Rt.57, with all these fields in the area I couldn't believe I saw just one gobbler 

• Like 1

Down this way I did alot of driving walking for scouting both for my self and a youth in 2 different zones..  this might be the most birds I've seen in my 5 years of Turkey hunting

• Like 1

I've seen quite a few while driving to my trout spots.  Might be a couple weeks behind up there.

• Like 1

I hunt big woods of zone 6 and 7.  Up here over the years, our turkey population has drastically declined due to cold wet springs (poults not surviving) and raccoon invasion of nests.  What I have noticed is that with smaller populations, they tend to stay in flocks throughout the spring never really branching out and searching for hens.  I always have birds to hunt but they are in smaller isolated ranges in the mountains.  As the season progresses, I always will find a couple more gobblers to hunt as they will move to different parts of the mountain ranges only toward the end of the season.  My “suburban” turkeys seem to never want to leave the comfort of the people that feed them year round.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

IMG_4426.jpg
Took this pic an hour ago while spreading some millings in my driveway. They are around but I will say I’ve seen less activity this spring than previous years. I’ve also got a very healthy raccoon population. One of these years I’m gona try that turkey hunting thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, Farmshine said:

IMG_4426.jpg
Took this pic an hour ago while spreading some millings in my driveway. They are around but I will say I’ve seen less activity this spring than previous years. I’ve also got a very healthy raccoon population. One of these years I’m gona try that turkey hunting thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You  want help with those ugly birds? Lol

• Like 1

I’m just finding it odd the hens are in the area the have nested as usual for the last 20 years , with no suitors around .

there are a few fox and coyotes around , but don’t think they are a problem here .

thinking the toms are hanging around a bigger flock of hens somewhere else on the mountain

Weird im seeing the Sam e, I havent really been going nuts with the scouting but the few places I have been checking  didn’t have the same activity as years past. Hopefully it’s just timing and not a sign of things to come.

• Like 1

I observed the same until today.  Hens walking around and no redheads in sight.  That changed today as I was driving down the road crying to my wife about how there's no toms where they usually are.  Of course they were there today and she said, "What are you blind?"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BHC said:

Seen plenty in Shop Rite:rofl:

That's where your turkey usually comes from , doesn't it :rofl:

• Like 1

Just now, hammer4reel said:

That's where your turkey usually comes from , doesn't it :rofl:

The way I call, yes I must get mine at shop rite

• Haha 1