robk09

Basic NJ Hunting Tips

Hello everyone

Im just beginning to get into the sport, and I currently have no knowledge of where, when and how I am allowed to hunt.

Where can I hunt in NJ? Are there specific areas? 

What are the hunting season dates for deer, and small game? How many can I hunt in a day?

What firearms and ammo am I allowed to use?

Thanks everyone

Posted (edited)

Did you take any safety course test's?

Edited by hunterbob1

Rob follow the link below and get the course materials. It will answer a lot of your questions. After that pick up a copy of the regulations(same place), also available on the fish and wildlife website, read them front to back...every year as they change.

Hunter’s Ed Material

1 minute ago, robk09 said:

Im taking a course in May

Good.Bow or gun?Most all your questions are answered in the NJ hunting and trapping digest.

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the site.

Here's a list of public lands that you can hunt.  It's a journey, you'll learn as you go and make lots of mistakes.  Learn from the mistakes and most importantly, have fun.  Best of luck.  :up:

https://njfishandwildlife.com/huntland.htm

Edited by Rusty

Most of us made many mistakes along the way and continue to do so 45 years later. Do not measure your success by what game you kill or how many. Measure it by the enjoyment you get by just being out there. Measure it by the amount of new friends you meet in the woods and fields. Because those times in the field create great memories that last a lifetime. And some of the people you meet will become great friends (and it is always good to have others to help you drag a deer every now and then.) for a lifetime. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

• Like 2

Best bet- find someone local on here. Buy them a beer and ask a million questions. 

Pick animal

pick weapon

practice

scout

practice some more

read digest front to back when it comes out

have fun! 

• Agree 1

Read the compendium and then come back with specific questions if you have any.  Welcome to the site.

• Agree 1

Every single one of your questions is directly answered in the NJ Hunting Digest. Like folks said here, read that first - front to back, then again :) This is my first recommendation to anyone new to hunting (aside from studying the test materials). I asked the same questions you did - and I found most of what I was looking for was found in the Digest.

Then you will be more informed and be able to ask more specific questions for things that are confusing. You will also learn a lot as you prepare for the test and during your field walk through in May during the test day.

Here's the NJ Hunting Digest in PDF form and in another online form:

PDF: https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2018/dighnt18.pdf

Online: http://www.eregulations.com/newjersey/hunting/

Good luck, and have fun hunting!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Every single one of your questions is directly answered in the NJ Hunting Digest. Like folks said here, read that first - front to back, then again :) This is my first recommendation to anyone new to hunting (aside from studying the test materials). I asked the same questions you did - and I found most of what I was looking for was found in the Digest.

Then you will be more informed and be able to ask more specific questions for things that are confusing. You will also learn a lot as you prepare for the test and during your field walk through in May during the test day.

Here's the NJ Hunting Digest in PDF form and in another online form:

PDF: https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2018/dighnt18.pdf

Online: http://www.eregulations.com/newjersey/hunting/

Good luck, and have fun hunting!

Good advice right there.  :up:

Yes obviously read the digest.

Ask lots of questions on your field walk! The instructors are there to help you and are always great guys that will let you pick their brains. 

I was too young when I took my hunters ed course to really have anything to ask. When I took my trappers ed course years later I sat there for a good half hour with the instructors asking questions on sets, locations, sign, etc. I learned a lot that helped me get started. Very rarely will you be in a place with that much knowledge and experience so take advantage of it as a newbie. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Learn how to read compass and map without relying on electronic GPS. Batteries and phones die

Edited by Bucndoe