LPJR

Bucksnbows- One Classy Purist & Fly fisherman

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I don't know that that means - Is that code for "yellow powerbait on the musky" and "Pink shrimp salmon eggs on the Pequest" ?

You want him to pass out?  And don't mention the word "fillet" either!

Edited by Nomad
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I don't know that that means - Is that code for "yellow powerbait on the musky" and "Pink shrimp salmon eggs on the Pequest" ?

Hope that’s the case, taking my stepson son to the musky tomorrow with rainbow power bait lol

I'm glad somebody brings a little class to this group of uncultured hillbillies.    :hippie:   :tooth:   :piney:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I'm glad somebody brings a little class to this group of uncultured hillbillies.    :hippie:   :tooth:   :piney:

:agree:

10 hours ago, Ryanm said:

Hope that’s the case, taking my stepson son to the musky tomorrow with rainbow power bait lol

Make sure he fishes from a Navy vessel, the rivers are all blown out and rising still this morning.  Fresh stockers will be nicely spread out today. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Make sure he fishes from a Navy vessel, the rivers are all blown out and rising still this morning.  Fresh stockers will be nicely spread out today. 

Haven’t left yet, but gonna fish from shore and hit a bunch of spots today. Maybe even Pohatcong and pequest depending on how the bites are.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Good morning to be fishing spinners deep in the upper tributaries of the major streams.

Oops - did I just say that out loud?

Edited by madeinuk
  • Like 2

We had a decent spinner fall yesterday in falling flows and the trout were eating on top again. I managed a wild brown in addition to a slew of stocked and holdover rainbows, all on dries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

We had a decent spinner fall yesterday in falling flows and the trout were eating on top again. I managed a wild brown in addition to a slew of stocked and holdover rainbows, all on dries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. Rub it in....:banghead:

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, LPJR said:

Yup. Rub it in....:banghead:

Two words: drift boat.

You could fly fish for trout or shad right now on the D in a drift boat although you may want to wait for the flows to drop some.  I should add that the Beaverkill at Cooks Falls crested at over 16,000 cfs earlier today.  That's pretty nuts for flows.

Edited by Bucksnbows
  • Like 1

can i get my boat in a trout stream? I envy the purists of trout fishing.

I took lessons, bought the gear and learned to cast pretty well setting up a good drift. 

I never ever even came close to mastering what flys to fish! 

Kingtrout taught me and he would say use this and this bang!

four hours of not a bite and one cast with 2 flys he recommended and fish on.

I figured out right then it takes special breed to do that sport . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slayer1962 said:

can i get my boat in a trout stream? I envy the purists of trout fishing.

I took lessons, bought the gear and learned to cast pretty well setting up a good drift. 

I figured out right then it takes special breed to do that sport . 

Just stick to it - the rush you get the first time a trout takes your fly from the surface is memorable.

I used to be a Triple-F but now I drown worms, mealies and waxworks  also fish spinners and yozuri pins minnows too.

Jusr depends on my mood - I wanted to master Czech nymphing this year but knee surgery has delayed the start of the particular effort.

I also used to fish year round catching fish on nypmphs in Jan and Feb.  But when the water is really frigid the takes are so lame that I wondered whether I was really snagging them in the mouth.  Plus thawing your guides and line gets old.  

20 minutes ago, Slayer1962 said:

The fly you choose is often far less important than where in the water column and how you fish it.  Most anglers that struggle with the fly rod don't have enough line between their hook and strike indicator and don't have near enough weight on either.  That deadly combo means you are drifting your flies way over their heads where only once in a blue moon will one sacrificial fish slam your fly just enough to keep you interested a little longer.  Getting a dead drift where your fly or flies are deep enough is critical, and that means losing a bunch of flies if you are nymph fishing.  Then there is the matter of detecting the strike, and that means watching your indicator if you are indicator nymph fishing.  I am shocked at the fact that 90% of my new clients watch that indicator bob up and down and they do exactly nothing instead of setting the hook and fighting a trout.  I think they expect it to be just like sunny fishing where the bobber goes all the way down under water and you somehow still find the time to set the hook and catch the fish.  A trout is not going to swim away with your nymph like a sunfish will your earthworm, that's for sure.  SET THE HOOK!  (ask Lou how his son did on that one) :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Two words: drift boat.

You could fly fish for trout or shad right now on the D in a drift boat although you may want to wait for the flows to drop some.  I should add that the Beaverkill at Cooks Falls crested at over 16,000 cfs earlier today.  That's pretty nuts for flows.

Almost bought a drift boat last summer. Wish I had. 

• Like 1

Still looking to put fly line on my 6wt Fenwick. I'll get around to it one day, Brian

• Like 1