IGNORED

What got you started trout fishing?

MZ7Extreme

My father started taking me to opening day when I was 4. I was a pain in the ass kid lol so the 2 minutes I shut up reeling in a trout was probably the only time I did all day!! One opening day when i was about 8 a monster bass came up and ate a trout right off the stringer. I was hooked for life after that lol. Even now i always get a feeling my trout will be eaten if i don't get in the cooler quickly!!!

5 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Walked, or road my bike down to the 2nd and 3rd bridge, or the bridge on Riverdale road where they stocked trout.  Threw the line in with a worm on the hook, and never caught anything.  Had fun floating down the river in an old fridge, though, and catching turtles, snakes and frogs.

And I thought I was the only one to utilize what was available. 3rd river,Belleville. Cement mixing tub.lol

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

7 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

My father started taking me to opening day when I was 4. I was a pain in the ass kid lol so the 2 minutes I shut up reeling in a trout was probably the only time I did all day!! One opening day when i was about 8 a monster bass came up and ate a trout right off the stringer. I was hooked for life after that lol. Even now i always get a feeling my trout will be eaten if i don't get in the cooler quickly!!!

I learned at an early age,to never leave my stringer alone at the bank.Snake's and turtles are sneeky.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

My father had no interest in fishing. I had older cousins and uncles who fished but I developed an early desire on my own to trout fish not from going with them. My first trout fishing was an opening that my mother took me and my friend(we were both 7 years old) to a local trout stocked stream. It was a typical cold first day. My friend lasted about ten minutes then returned to the car with my mother. I stuck it out for a while but spent most of the time with tangles lines and caught nothing. I saw a teenage boy near me catch a trout and when I saw that I was hooked for life. Back in those days all streams were closed on stocking day and did not open til 5 am the next morning. So starting around when I was 12 I would  get up at 4 am. My mother would drop me off at 5 am at the nearest stream and she would pick me up at 7 am. I would rush home eat breakfast get dressed for school and make sure I did not miss the school bus. I wonder how many kids now days have that kind of self motivation and a great supportive mother. 50 plus years later the passion for me is still there. 

My father got me started over 45 years ago,we fished all over the state,by the time I was 12 years old the trout were getting a beat down. At times I got snide remarks or  hole jumped by the older guys on the river...LMAO

Edited by bucky

I was about 19 or so and two of my friends, Shark and Caveman,  fished at Sylvan's lake in Burlington TWP, NJ. These guys were older than me. Caveman was about 30 and Shark I think was about 41. This is going back to the late 90's. My dad took me fishing for flounder and blues at Captain Mike's but wasn't a fresh water fisherman. 

These guys would cook early in the morning. Have hot chocolate. and be down at the lake in the dark waiting for 8AM. They would have sticks as rod holders all picked out. I really didn't even have a trout rod. I kind of learned from them as i went along. 

Cave man, Jimmy passed away from complications from surgery. He accidentally shot himself down in the pines around 99 or so. Since his shooting he had multiple surgeries and passed away on the table some years after the accident. I also learned to ride my cycle by riding with him.

Jimmy's brother Gary (passed from cancer) was also a hell of a fisherman. He lived for bass fishing and belonged to several clubs in NJ. 

https://www.burlingtoncountytimes.com/3937dcc6-08fc-5da9-a8a6-4d598c6ba591.html

Shark, Fred,  well, he was a unique individual. He ended up committing suicide after his wife passed away from cancer, mid 2000's i want to say.

I moved to PA before all of this took place so I wasn't around for the sadness. 

Anyway, we fished that lake as much as we could. We had that spot for i don't know how long and no one would ever bother us. After trout season we went down to the river there in Burlington and fished all night sometimes. Had a lot of fun hauling in channel cats.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

At about 8 yrs old, my dad would take me n my 2 older brothers, along with a few neighbor kids n their dad  (the Bruzezzi's)......hike to the back of the golf course on the manasquan....in search of the mystical n elusive trout!!

That's Ol Goldy in the pic.....my pride n joy golden Ryobi combo!

Always stopped at the mini mart on squankum rd for Yoohoos and Suzie Q's!!

Was cool to see the first signs of spring by skunk cabbage sprouting up.....smelling it to get a real understanding of why it's called that!! 

My bro (Blondie in pic would always have a fit bout tangles, missed fish, snags, etc)....pure comedy early streamside!!

We had the last good growing up in the 80s!!!

20190412_112204.jpg

20190412_112225.jpg