1 minute ago, Bucksnbows said:

A tip would be customary regardless of who owns the boat. No different than tipping in a restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:agree:

6 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

A tip would be customary regardless of who owns the boat. No different than tipping in a restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what would be fair on an $800 day?

1 minute ago, Jerseybassnbow said:

So what would be fair on an $800 day?

Again, just like a restaurant.  If the service is good, tip 20% or better.  That's $160 on top of the $800.  Remember, that boat owner has likely a triple screw or at least a twin screw chewing up fuel all day.  He may have to buy bait, and he will have to buy your lunch.  Add insurance, marina fees, wear and tear on the boat, etc. and half of his $800 is gone from the start, maybe more.  He may own the boat, but he's going to bait your hook, gaff your fish, drive you all over, etc.  

• Like 3

I would tip but that just me. And like others have said tip like you would at a restaurant it depends on service

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I always have regardless who owns the boat. I've never had a mate on a Tarpon or Back Country trip, so always just the owner. BTW Good Luck. I'm heading down tomorrow.

Edited by Lanceinpa
  • Like 2

Im an avid tarpon/florida flats/fly fishing- been many times with multiple guides:

1- $800 is on the very high end for a tarpon trip but not unheard of. Guy better go above and beyond for you (Pole all day and actively move to areas for you. Tarpon fishing in skinny water is more like hunting than fishing) and have TOP of the line gear

2- You dont want a mate on a private tarpon trip. Should only be you and a guide. Because of that, regardless of if he owns or not, I always tip IF they earn it- I just give less. Lets say I were to tip a good guide that didnt own operation 20-25% because they worked hard to get on fish---that same scenario, I would tip owner/guide 15%

3- of all my trips- the biggest thing that makes a real guide stand out- even if you are targeting tarpon, if action is slow, a good guide will get you on other species for fun/something to eat. 

Good luck and have fun! Nothing more exciting than "bowing to the king!"

Im an avid tarpon/florida flats/fly fishing- been many times with multiple guides:

1- $800 is on the very high end for a tarpon trip but not unheard of. Guy better go above and beyond for you (Pole all day and actively move to areas for you. Tarpon fishing in skinny water is more like hunting than fishing) and have TOP of the line gear

2- You dont want a mate on a private tarpon trip. Should only be you and a guide. Because of that, regardless of if he owns or not, I always tip IF they earn it- I just give less. Lets say I were to tip a good guide that didnt own operation 20-25% because they worked hard to get on fish---that same scenario, I would tip owner/guide 15%

3- of all my trips- the biggest thing that makes a real guide stand out- even if you are targeting tarpon, if action is slow, a good guide will get you on other species for fun/something to eat. 

Good luck and have fun! Nothing more exciting than "bowing to the king!"

Great advice, thank you. This seems to be one of the cheaper guides in the area from the homework I did. Most guys were around 850. I did find one at 650 but I did not trust that he really knew the waters. Whatever I just want to catch a fish. I went on some Florida fishing forums and he was recommended. Great post.

• Like 1

By no means rich but I always tip. For a lot of stuff. Lol. 

Pseg came to house for a quick fix. $10 top. Same guy comes now. Lol 

Last couple winter's the snow removal company that cleans our neighborhood. I convinced a few of my neighbors to all pool some cash and hook up the guy with the front loader. 5-6 houses. He got over a $100 cash. Guess which street he comes to first? Lol 

When I was single (free! , Had cash and free time!)And booked charters for friends and or co-workers I always added 20% to the fare. If the Capt didn't work hard I still tipped the mates. 

As for owner I tip  them. Boats like stalker or Adam bomb may not have a mate but both bust their ass to put fish in the boat. 

29 minutes ago, Jerseybassnbow said:

Great advice, thank you. This seems to be one of the cheaper guides in the area from the homework I did. Most guys were around 850. I did find one at 650 but I did not trust that he really knew the waters. Whatever I just want to catch a fish. I went on some Florida fishing forums and he was recommended. Great post.

Prices all fluctuate- sounds like you did your homework and didnt go for just cheapest which is biggest mistake! Have fun!