IGNORED

Site Ad Problems (redirects, jumping around, etc)

7 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

I merged all the topics (3) on this.  Lunatic was the first to table it yesterday, so his post is the original.  I updated the title as well.

Not so looney, takes a cannon ball to to the head sometimes to see the light.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 hours ago, MS22 said:

I don’t know if you use the same ad provider as archery talk but I am getting the same thing on their website that I and others were getting here yesterday. Assume it is an issue with the ad provider. Since you disabled the ads, I am no longer getting it here. Way to be proactive, Matt. 

Thanks Mike!  Great info as well.  I'm not sure who ArcheryTalk uses but I wouldn't be surprised if it's across multiple ad networks.  It's malicious ad bidders causing it and a constant battle for ad networks/providers to weed them out. Even with automated solutions they still find ways to sneak in.  Hopefully they have some insight soon! :up:

PS good to see you on here!  Hope all is well with you and the family! :up:

First time in a long time I am able to actually enjoy the site all the ads had my eyes going crazy. I know you say they are needed to run the site but getting blasted by all the Bogus ads redirecting  you got to be to much. I use Verizon for my phone and internet.

Ads are restored for now.  Ad network said there was an influx of bad ads that impacted the network but should be resolved now.  Please let me know if you experience any issues.

Registered members should only see a maximum 2 content ads (in between posts) and the footer ad.   There may have been an issue before where you were seeing more than this.

Premium members also see a maximum of 2 content ads (in between posts) but no footer ad. 

If you are seeing more than that, please let me know including your device type.

2 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Good news, the ad network identified an issue they are working on a fix.  I'll update the announcement bar once that fix is in and ads are restored.

How about we let them never fix it and you just keep it disabled?:happywave:

Actually its been good for the last few days, even when you turned it back on. 

19 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

How about we let them never fix it and you just keep it disabled?:happywave:

Actually its been good for the last few days, even when you turned it back on. 

There were a few issues that are getting adjusted.  I think the non-premium members were set to see 5 content ads (spread in between posts on a given page) instead of 2, which would explain the headaches.  They are updating the ads config, so I have to see how it shakes out.  I'm sure I'll hear from you when they're re-enabled! :rofl:

Ads have been restored, I've been testing for a couple days now and haven't seen in redirect in awhile.  Definitely was a large impact to the ad networks in terms of mass redirects.  If anyone sees any issues, please let me know right away.  Thanks guys and gals!

NOTE, the biggest impact (maybe the only) was on mobile devices.  I didn't see personally or hear of any desktop issues with the ads.

Thanks @Bones  looks like it was on a mobile device?  They should be back to rare events, the ad network told me they've blocked over 250k of those bad ads the last couple days on their network with the detection they've put in place.  If you see them with regularity definitely let me know.