IGNORED

questions for the clammers!

mazzgolf

(don't want to hijack that Manhattan clam chowder thread with these questions - so starting this thread)

OK, clamming looks like it might be a nice diversion since almost all hunting seasons are over until the fall. And I like clam chowder, so there's that :)

I have never gone clamming - I don't know the first thing about it. So give a newbie some tips.

1) What time of year should you go? I see there is no closed season for hard clams. Is clamming in the summer just as good as any other time? Or am I too late to start this time of year?

2) Aside from knowing to only clam in the legal areas, how do you know where to clam? Do I have just as much chance of getting clams by randomly picking an ocean-side beach or bay-side area? Or are clams only in specific areas that you need to know about? For example, I can easily get to Corson's Inlet or Brigantine Beach or Tuckahoe WMA and areas near those - but I have no idea if those are good. Is clamming ocean-side better/worse/same than going inside to the bays or rivers? In tidal waters, I assume you need to go at low tide.

3) What's a good but inexpensive clam rake to get? Do clam rakes have baskets specifically with 1.5" grates so they will automatically sift out the undersize clams?

Clamming without a boat is hard, it can be done at low tide if you know the right areas, I know some walk in from Raritan bay but you couldn't pay me to eat those without them going to the processing plant. Clam the bays not the ocean. You can use a garden rake if you want to. I don't like the ones with baskets. Make sure you buy a clam gauge to make sure they are the right size. You don't want to clam too close to the sure because that's where all the pollution enters the water

Mazz I like to tread, with my feet to find them, or at low tide scratch  rake them. Clams can be harvested year round, but most recreational  guys clam in warmer weather. All you need as a resident is a 10 dollar clamming license and you are allowed 150 clams per day. Senior  citizens get a free license.  I got my scratch  rakes from Ribbs online. 

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

1 minute ago, rgw said:

Don't forget no clamming on Sunday

My favorite day to go! No competition! Yes clamming  closed on Sunday. Clamming  is generally  the best  within a couple  miles from an inlet. Clams like a mixture of sand and mud so it's rich in organic  matter and easier  to dig in.

9 minutes ago, hunt1940 said:

i got stopped down by our house in little egg on a sunday, warden was great let me keep them and we both agreed it was one of the dumbest laws.

You should of went and bought a lottery ticket immediately! LOL

Just go where you see other people clamming. Watch them for a little while and when you find the guy that's getting the most just plop down next to him and start digging. Clammers are a friendly bunch and they like that sort of thing. Good luck!:up:

Edited by Woodsman416

You can clam on Sundays in Monmouth County, another dumb law, avoid commercial clammers ,it's their livelihood, you can either buy a premade clam and crab gauge or use an old 45 record to check your clams. Did no one tell you about treading clam where you jump overboard and feel for them with your feet, then when you find one dunk under and pick it out of the sand. lots of fun once it warms up. No matter where or who you clam go enjoy yourself