IGNORED

Choosing a utility trailer

BowhunterNJ

1 hour ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I'll take winner.  So it'll be you and me.  :) 

If I have to go against you I’m using my duelly.

i don’t have all the pollution junk on my truck  (last year before all the changes 2003)so will probably put a hurting on you ..

.:happywave:

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I bought a 5x10 years ago.  I went with the 10' so I could put my four wheeler with plow on it.  Had I known years later I would buy a Hustler mower I woulda went wider, it doesn't fit on my trailer.  Going bigger than what you think you need seems to be the way to go.  Wish I did.

Buy bigger than what you need. 6x12 is a great size. 

All trailers are not created equal. Single axle for short hauls and light loads. 

Go with dual axle if hauling longer distances and heavier loads. 

A covered trailer is nice for security and bad weather days but adds weight to the trailer. 

LED sealed lights. Trailers are always problems with wiring and bulbs. 

Bearing buddies a must. 

Amazing how many people dont grease the bearings. 

Im overkill with the grease gun but never had a bearing go. 

Ive installed a winch on my big trailer, a tool box for binders, chains, straps, grease gun and spare bearings. 

Order a spare tire with it. 

I own and recommend the Big Tex trailers. They are built very well. 

www.liftxrentals.com

On 3/29/2019 at 12:41 PM, JHbowhunter said:

how many pounds of torque does your man-truck have again?

I am with you on this one. What are you hauling or towing to need more power? I see 90% of big trucks on the road as nothing more than penis extensions with the biggest load in it being the wife and 3 bags of mulch:happywave:

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

I am with you on this one. What are you hauling or towing to need more power? I see 90% of big trucks on the road as nothing more than penis extensions with the biggest load in it being the wife and 3 bags of mulch:happywave:

While I’m sure many of the pick ups on the road aren’t towing anything.

the ones that are , towing anything with more power is much more effeciant , and also less strain on the vehicle.

just towing a quad out to Illinois with a less powered truck your gas consumption goes through the roof .

doing long trips , getting 6 or 7 miles a gallon instead of 18 to 20 adds up quick.

if if we were to judge a vehicle should be bought for how we use it 95% of the time , they should just have 1 seat and look like a smart car.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

20 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

While I’m sure many of the pick ups on the road aren’t towing anything.

the ones that are , towing anything with more power is much more effeciant , and also less strain on the vehicle.

just towing a quad out to Illinois with a less powered truck your gas consumption goes through the roof .

doing long trips , getting 6 or 7 miles a gallon instead of 18 to 20 adds up quick.

if if we were to judge a vehicle should be bought for how we use it 95% of the time , they should just have 1 seat and look like a smart car.

You are right. But how much heavy towing vs driving around empty will Jack,and most do, with their trucks? I hardly see any trucks on the road doing any work.  If he tows his quad once/ year to Ohio and drives empty all year, he will save money with a smaller engine. What is he hauling, on somewhat consistent basis , to justify less economical engine? He already wakes up to 3" so he does not need extension :shock::happywave:

I am really not a car/truck guy and maybe this is the reason I just look at practicality of car ownership. 

Edited by Lunatic

5 hours ago, Buck154 said:

Matt you could have avoided this and bought a full size pickup with 4 doors instead of the SUV :rofl:

Go with the little bigger trailer. Better off in the long run.

If there was a pickup that could fit 8' rods inside or there was a secure rod rack I might go that direction.  But I definitely like the covered protection of an SUV :)

6 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Don't you mean that the biggest load will be carrying 4 bags?  LOL

David

2 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

If there was a pickup that could fit 8' rods inside or there was a secure rod rack I might go that direction.  But I definitely like the covered protection of an SUV :)

I liked my Expedition for that same reason.

BUT hated smelling fish from the cooler, or having deer inside the rig, especially a rutted up buck.

4 door pick up with rod racks IMO gives you the most use for everything.

Tonneau cover with a locking tailgate keeps eyes off your stuff the rest of the time.

when you dirty up the bed from any outdoor activity , its a simple clean up with the hose.

get blood of fish slime in an Suv can be a nightmare

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

29 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

I liked my Expedition for that same reason.

BUT hated smelling fish from the cooler, or having deer inside the rig, especially a rutted up buck.

4 door pick up with rod racks IMO gives you the most use for everything.

Tonneau cover with a locking tailgate keeps eyes off your stuff the rest of the time.

when you dirty up the bed from any outdoor activity , its a simple clean up with the hose.

get blood of fish slime in an Suv can be a nightmare

Yes, agree 100%.  I use a hitch cart for deer to keep that mess outside.  Cooler, I'm just toting around smaller ones generally, but if you're hauling big coolers for fish or bait, I can definitely see how you wouldn't want that in the back, especially if it leaks! :eek:

Having an open bed that you can just hose out would be great.

I think the dilemma always came down to one piece saltwater rods.  Even with the Tonneau cover, the bed is the bed in terms of limiting the length of what can go in there.  If you go with a rod rack, you want something you can lock up really well when you run into a store or Wawa or restaurant.  Even after a few minutes you can come out to all your stuff gone.  We've all seen the posts from people getting high priced gear jacked...can't even imagine losing a full rack of offshore gear!  Ouch!

The other side of the coin is stuff gets banged up pretty good in a pickup bed.  Would definitely need some level of organization there to keep things in check (like the seats of an SUV can do when up, or fold down for more room on demand).