IGNORED

2019 Trout Season Opener

BowhunterNJ

For you fly guys and gals out there, we're seeing some dry fly action in the afternoon already this week......think after 3 pm until maybe 5 the latest, but it's starting.  Blue quills and Hendricksons and some caddis.  Not to mention egg laying little black stoneflies (LBS) at times.  Skitter a black elk hair caddis on the surface if you don't have a dry LBS imitation and hang on!  

Looks like an unsettled weather pattern late Thursday - Saturday morning could bring some scattered light rains, but nothing too severe.  Flows are nicely dropping this week, so the river and streams shouldn't come anywhere near blowing out (famous last words) for the opener.  

6 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Looks like an unsettled weather pattern late Thursday - Saturday morning could bring some scattered light rains, but nothing too severe.  Flows are nicely dropping this week, so the river and streams shouldn't come anywhere near blowing out (famous last words) for the opener.  

Where you going?

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

23 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

No I wasn't chumming.lolAs I got older,tradition was a thing of the past.I avoided crowds on opening day!Many openers it was raining!Dry under the bridge!All alone at lubber's under 206,I had peace and serenity and a creel full!

I believe 2 years ago it snowed opening day!! The bridge was probably perfect

21 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

I believe 2 years ago it snowed opening day!! The bridge was probably per

21 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

I believe 2 years ago it snowed opening day!! The bridge was probably perfect

It's a nice bridge.Ear plugs a good, Good!

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

46 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Where you going?

My Trout Unlimited chapter holds our annual Opening Day Shenanigans event on the banks of the Musconetcong on two adjoining members' properties.  We start by lining up the "Bathtub Hole" with about 15 guys and gals at 7:55 and wait for the 8 am shotgun blast to let us know it's time to fish.  First fish out of that pool gets bragging rights, then everyone disperses and fishes this 3/4 mile section.  

If I didn't know spots to fish very well for trout season, I would personally find the bridge stocking points and then walk downstream to the first deeper run or pool and set up shop there.  Most everyone will be standing shoulder to shoulder right where they dumped the trout, but at least 30% or more of those fresh stockies swam downstream out of the crowded pool they were dumped into.  That's my tip for the day for the newbie out there.  ;)

12 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

My Trout Unlimited chapter holds our annual Opening Day Shenanigans event on the banks of the Musconetcong on two adjoining members' properties.  We start by lining up the "Bathtub Hole" with about 15 guys and gals at 7:55 and wait for the 8 am shotgun blast to let us know it's time to fish.  First fish out of that pool gets bragging rights, then everyone disperses and fishes this 3/4 mile section.  

If I didn't know spots to fish very well for trout season, I would personally find the bridge stocking points and then walk downstream to the first deeper run or pool and set up shop there.  Most everyone will be standing shoulder to shoulder right where they dumped the trout, but at least 30% or more of those fresh stockies swam downstream out of the crowded pool they were dumped into.  That's my tip for the day for the newbie out there.  ;)

I'll be in a hole at Stevens park @3:30 gotta get a golden,or a tag an check em in at that sportshop A something on 46.

39 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

I'll be in a hole at Stevens park @3:30 gotta get a golden,or a tag an check em in at that sportshop A something on 46.

Good ol county line sport shop. That was a great shop. We would stop there religiously every Saturday morning. Sad it went the way of the rest of them.  I miss trout fishing, ever since they went to all rainbows it just turned me off for some reason. That along with the early striper bite......