IGNORED

Weed killer

I'm going to try the homemade concoction on my hunting property before planting attractants. 

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

3 hours ago, mikmaze said:

cleth will only kill grass,  rye is grass.

This time of year rye should be terminated. It has already done its part for soil building in a food plot. Mow it now. If it persists which it should not spray with Cleth. The thatch layer left behind from the terminated rye is worth more throughout spring and summer then the rye itself. Overseed in fall again with rye grain  repeat the process. 

Also to the OP. What we call a weed, is food to a deer. There is a non existent need to have a perfectly clean food plot. Broad leafs in a plot that are competing with your clovers, are best controlled by mowing. The less you till (ideally you never till), the less weed seed is brought back to the surface to germinate. Not to mention tilling will dry out the soil, as well as interupt the natural process taking place by the microorganisms in the soil. 

Google “Ray the soil guy”. Watch everything from him that you can and less what companies want us to believe. 

I would rather leave the ry go, standing cover for turkeys and for fawns to lay down in and hide once tall enough,  leaves the roots alive to hold onto soil during heavy spring rains, roll it down in fall over broadcast seed to act as a nice cover layer for seedlings.

12 hours ago, Livesintrees said:

This time of year rye should be terminated. It has already done its part for soil building in a food plot. Mow it now. If it persists which it should not spray with Cleth. The thatch layer left behind from the terminated rye is worth more throughout spring and summer then the rye itself. Overseed in fall again with rye grain  repeat the process. 

My rye is only 2 inches high right now, it just started coming back to life and the deer have been all over it for the past 2 or 3 weeks. Things are just starting to bud now around me which soon they will have a ton of new browse. I personally wouldnt terminate the rye right now. The deer are in it every night. As long as they are hitting it,I will leave it go until 1st week of May then I will run the disc over it. Once the soil is warm enough then I will drill soybeans for the summer then go back to rye and brassicas for the fall. I try not to leave the plate clean until the next crop is ready. This method seems to be working for me. I have more deer coming to the property than ever before since I bought the place about 4 years ago. 

20190318_190442_zpsjcrbeymk.jpg

20190318_1923241_zpsfkzcscwk.jpg

www.liftxrentals.com

11 hours ago, tcook8296 said:

My rye is only 2 inches high right now, it just started coming back to life and the deer have been all over it for the past 2 or 3 weeks. Things are just starting to bud now around me which soon they will have a ton of new browse. I personally wouldnt terminate the rye right now. The deer are in it every night. As long as they are hitting it,I will leave it go until 1st week of May then I will run the disc over it. Once the soil is warm enough then I will drill soybeans for the summer then go back to rye and brassicas for the fall. I try not to leave the plate clean until the next crop is ready. This method seems to be working for me. I have more deer coming to the property than ever before since I bought the place about 4 years ago. 

20190318_190442_zpsjcrbeymk.jpg

20190318_1923241_zpsfkzcscwk.jpg

With no till planting rye is easier to control now. It’ll add organic matter to the soil now in the OP’s clover which should start coming to life in the next 2-3 weeks with this warm trend.  If you’re running equipment, and will be able to broadcast amendments and immediate turn into the soil it’s less of a thought. But any rye cut now and left to lay as thatch in no till means your clovers will be better for it.