IGNORED

2018-19 fur picture

Of all you guys that trap, how many are retired? Seems like trapping is hard to do for the average working stiff that needs to punch a clock because of the time it takes each day. So I'm curious if you aren't retired, how do you manage to get it in?

One reason (not the only one, but it was one) that I didn't go this year was I don't think I would have had the time to go out every single day checking the traps. Then the time it takes -- if you have a catch -- for the dispatch and then when you get home do what you need to do before it spoils. Seems like it takes a lot of time each day (and it's not an option to skip to a day).

3 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Of all you guys that trap, how many are retired? Seems like trapping is hard to do for the average working stiff that needs to punch a clock because of the time it takes each day. So I'm curious if you aren't retired, how do you manage to get it in?

One reason (not the only one, but it was one) that I didn't go this year was I don't think I would have had the time to go out every single day checking the traps. Then the time it takes -- if you have a catch -- for the dispatch and then when you get home do what you need to do before it spoils. Seems like it takes a lot of time each day (and it's not an option to skip to a day).

I am not retired. It takes a lot of dedication and time. If you trap while working you will be checking before work and skinning and put up after work. Be prepared not to eat dinner till 9pm if you catch a bunch of critters. That being said if your doing it to enjoy the outdoors and only set a handful of traps it isn't that bad. The easiest way to do it is to only set up one area at a time. Trap it for a week or two then pull and move to a new area. 

The average for reds was $8. High was $24 and low was $1. The average should be higher but quite a few new people brought in fur not put up right and brought down average. I seen coyotes go from $5 to $95, avg around $30. Coon around $5 rats $4 mink $7

23 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

OK, now for a little game - because I have no idea how much any of this would bring in. If all of these were sold at auction (i.e. there was a buyer for each one), how much money would this bring in?

By my rough count (just looking at the picture), it looks like there are:

coyote: 14
fox: 17
muskrat (is that what those little ones are in front of the fox?): 4
beaver: 5
raccoon: 47

total: 87

Would $800 be out of the question? Just under $10 per??? I realize each species brings in a different price, but on average, I would hope this would bring in at least $800. :hmmmer:

Same fur would have brought about $4500.00 back when I trapped in high school.  1978-80.

27 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Excatly why I don't trap anymore. I can't swing it between punching in at 6am and getting home at 5pm. I'm dead tired. Then have to cook dinner for my daughter. Get a couple hours of down time. And repeat. No way in hell would I be able to check a trap line . However I do get out once or twice a year. But it's only for a long weekend. Such as Christmas and New year's weekend. This year I trapped a few critters. More then likely a trapping license will no longer be purchased until I do retire. But the way this state is going, trapping will be a thing of the past by the time I retire. 

It's a lot of work. I used to get up at 5am before school and check my traps, and then set more after school.  Coons were bringing 40+, muskrat 7.25, fox 60, so it was quite good money.  Usually rode my bike to check and set.  This was in Oradell, Bergen County.  Trapping right in peoples backyards, little creeks and along the Hackensack River.   We would always be on the look out for roadkills.  A coon in the "round", unskinned and whole would bring you $20 if you were lazy and didn't feel like skinning it.

2 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Nope, work full time. It ain't for everyone. Most people have no idea how much goes into it. There is a huge difference between a trapper and someone who sets traps

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

9 hours ago, Nomad said:

It's a lot of work. I used to get up at 5am before school and check my traps, and then set more after school.  Coons were bringing 40+, muskrat 7.25, fox 60, so it was quite good money.  Usually rode my bike to check and set.  This was in Oradell, Bergen County.  Trapping right in peoples backyards, little creeks and along the Hackensack River.   We would always be on the look out for roadkills.  A coon in the "round", unskinned and whole would bring you $20 if you were lazy and didn't feel like skinning it.

I did the same thing before school and then after school if I had a successful morning I would beg my mother for ride to Tom Hanna's in Readington for my paycheck . I couldn't imagine kids doing that today,all they have to do now is ask mommy for money :down: