IGNORED

2018-19 fur picture

28 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

OK, now for a little game - because I have no idea how much any of this would bring in. If all of these were sold at auction (i.e. there was a buyer for each one), how much money would this bring in?

By my rough count (just looking at the picture), it looks like there are:

coyote: 14
fox: 17
muskrat (is that what those little ones are in front of the fox?): 4
beaver: 5
raccoon: 47

total: 87

Would $800 be out of the question? Just under $10 per??? I realize each species brings in a different price, but on average, I would hope this would bring in at least $800. :hmmmer:

Pretty good counting. 18 fox, 46 coon and 1 skunk

14 hours ago, Rossy048 said:

Ready to send to auction

IMG_20190320_111924.jpg

Great season. I always love getting the end of season picture. Unfortunately I did not really trap this year. Only took 6 beaver and a couple fox. I will be back into it next season. Congrats on a great season. That's a lot of coyotes :up:

9 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

OK, now for a little game - because I have no idea how much any of this would bring in. If all of these were sold at auction (i.e. there was a buyer for each one), how much money would this bring in?

Would $800 be out of the question? Just under $10 per??? I realize each species brings in a different price, but on average, I would hope this would bring in at least $800. :hmmmer:

If you don't trap you will never know what they are really worth. They are worth a hell of a lot more than the dollars worth. The money is only a small part of trapping now a days. What you learn from trapping is unbelievable about the outdoors. You should take the class and try it.  

45 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

If you don't trap you will never know what they are really worth. They are worth a hell of a lot more than the dollars worth. The money is only a small part of trapping now a days. What you learn from trapping is unbelievable about the outdoors. You should take the class and try it.  

I did take the class this past fall. But I never got out there this year.

But I was interested solely in the dollars (clearly the amount of just the labor (not to mention the supplies) it takes to trap and prepare a fox for market is worth more than just the $5 or $10 or whatever it is you get for it - but I am curious how much that harvest of ~90 furs would get on the market). I keep hearing people say the market has been horrible - so I'm curious what the dollars are, even though it will never be "worth" the labor you put into it.

6 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I did take the class this past fall. But I never got out there this year.

But I was interested solely in the dollars (clearly the amount of just the labor (not to mention the supplies) it takes to trap and prepare a fox for market is worth more than just the $5 or $10 or whatever it is you get for it - but I am curious how much that harvest of ~90 furs would get on the market). I keep hearing people say the market has been horrible - so I'm curious what the dollars are, even though it will never be "worth" the labor you put into it.

Rgw should have the results from the action tonight. I'm usually up there working but didn't go. You have time take a ride to the auction. It cool to see.

Edited by Buck154

To what I’ve read over the passed recent months is that furnproces are expected to increase in the upcoming year bc of products once again being used in the fashion world. I don’t know how true that holds or not. Maybe this is the year I take the trapping course. Said it for years, but never go through with it 

3 hours ago, Livesintrees said:

To what I’ve read over the passed recent months is that furnproces are expected to increase in the upcoming year bc of products once again being used in the fashion world. I don’t know how true that holds or not. Maybe this is the year I take the trapping course. Said it for years, but never go through with it 

I’ve personally seen this as being true. Last year I averaged $3 per coon. Just so far this year my leftover fur from last season averaged $5-6 each. Not sure if anyone else is seeing this but I am liking this trend.

15 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I would say $800 is definitely high. Even if all of your furs are primo I wouldn’t expect to get close to that. Not to beat a dead horse but as stated before all of the work that goes into it is not worth what they are selling for currently. The work doesn’t stop at the trap line. The skinning/fleshing/boarding is what kills you IMO. 

With the price of gasoline, licenses, permits, and trapping supplies today, it actually cost me money to trap or at least I came close to breaking even. I prefer not to disclose what I caught this year. But I did catch in the excess of over 200 furbearers. The real value in trapping is to be outdoors everyday and experience the beauty and solitude that only trapping can offer. Like a popular TV commercial says "The memories are priceless".