Jump to content
Bones

Question about kids and fishing

Recommended Posts

I have been taking my oldest daughter along with me on most of my outdoor adventures for the past two years and she has her own fishing gear, she can cast and reel in fish on her own which has me wondering at what age does a kid get their own bag limits for fishing. Is it 10 like hunting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To my understanding there’s no age on fish limits, since there’s no age on fishing. If she’s fishing then those fish are hers. I was catching fish at 7 and those fish were mine. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, just because there is no need for a license (under 16 years old), doesn't mean you don't have to follow the rules for bag limits. Same goes if you are over 70 - no requirement for a fishing license either but I'm fairly confident guys over 70 can't just willy-nilly take however many fish they want! :) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Yeah, just because there is no need for a license (under 16 years old), doesn't mean you don't have to follow the rules for bag limits. Same goes if you are over 70 - no requirement for a fishing license either but I'm fairly confident guys over 70 can't just willy-nilly take however many fish they want! :) 

That’s not what I asked. 

the question is at what age does a kid get a bag limit.

ex if I’m flounder fishing and she catches a keeper size flounder do I count that towards my limit or can a 6 year old have her own limit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bones said:

 

the question is at what age does a kid get a bag limit.

ex if I’m flounder fishing and she catches a keeper size flounder do I count that towards my limit or can a 6 year old have her own limit? 

Not sure about your answer but,  years ago I was about 50 miles off of Cape May fishing in February for sea bass on a head boat. There was a little boat next to us maybe a 25 footer. The people on it were Amish looking and they had a few small kids out there with them. I assumed they brought the kids out so their catch limit would be higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info I wasn’t sure how it worked with kids since hunting is 10 years old I didn’t know if fishing was the same. 

This was two summers ago she’s a fishing machine, we have since upgraded her rod and reel.

9BE80007-1421-451A-AD52-528650133F1B.jpeg

7D1BAE88-9F1E-49FE-BDE6-5F46D95A2CA1.jpeg

36AD3C37-D173-4B10-AC6E-3D20C5F48FD4.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Winner 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others said, children under 16 and NJ seniors over 70 do not require a fishing license, but they have to follow the exact same rules everyone else does. Kids can fish at any age, but we only allow those 10 plus to hunt.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

Her fish . Her limit .

You only count your own fish as your limit.

 

Winner winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son has been fishing with me in the Flatbrook from as long as he could stand next to me......I always let him decide what he wanted to keep or release as far as stockers went... When the action was fast and furious he would always keep no more than the limit of 6 in the early part of the season, then 4 as the season and limit lessened....Some days we just have a blast seeing what they would hit and let them go to fight another day as long as they didn't swallow the hook.....

We only usually bring home what we would eat or save for family who loves the rainbows... Those would go right into the freezer once cleaned......I think the rainbows are the sweetest tasting of the trout........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bones said:

Thanks for the info I wasn’t sure how it worked with kids since hunting is 10 years old I didn’t know if fishing was the same. 

This was two summers ago she’s a fishing machine, we have since upgraded her rod and reel.

9BE80007-1421-451A-AD52-528650133F1B.jpeg

7D1BAE88-9F1E-49FE-BDE6-5F46D95A2CA1.jpeg

36AD3C37-D173-4B10-AC6E-3D20C5F48FD4.jpeg

Awesome pictures adorable little girl you have

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...