IGNORED

New Scam !

Lunatic

I get an email with a receipt for Apple store purchase. I didn’t buy anything today and the email provided a link to dispute it if did not make the purchase. Naturally, I clicked it and the next screen informs me my Apple account was blocked because it was compromised. I am thinking Good, no one can use my account and associated credit card again. I am then directed to reactivate my account. This is where things got weird. The page is asking me to give my user name, password, name, address, phone # and even SS#. I started to answer, to reactivate my account, but something didn’t feel right. So I checked my credit card account to see if the purchase was really made and no it wasn’t. Then I tried to login to my apple account and it was not blocked.  That was close:shock:. If I went through with this some ahole would have everything necessary to have free access to my account and credit card. Scumbags!!

Edited by Lunatic

I can't tell you how many people get taken by this phishing scam it's on believable.  The next thing they would be asking for Walmart gift cards or Apple gift cards for 500 bucks to reactivate the account.  The latest thing is Apple Pay and credit cards stored on your phone the thieves are easily compromising these I don't recommend it doing any of that.  Good thing you caught it.

6 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

There are many legit emails with harmless and very useful links

I only open emails from people I know or that I have contacted all others get deleted. 

And do the same (answer that is) with the phone.... landline or cellular ! 

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

2 minutes ago, RPK0620 said:

I only open emails from people I know or that I have contacted all others get deleted. 

And do the same (answer that is) with the phone.... landline or cellular ! 

Well if you get an email from vendor you do business with you open it, no. 

2 minutes ago, NotJust22s said:

You are correct, I stand corrected. What I meant to say was, Never Ever Ever click on a link in an email, Never Ever.

Well, is that really realistic? 

If I purchase something on line, email confirmation provides links to track your purchase, to cancel it, etc. 

At work I constantly get emails with links to sites, conference meetings  and so on. 

It is a very important tool I can’t do without 

8 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Well if you get an email from vendor you do business with you open it, no. 

If I have done business with them yes I would as you did.  Guess I was trying to make the point that I don't open emails or answer calls from those I don't know.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

I get those all the time.  Always check the email header for where the email originated from.  If it isn't apple.com then you don't trust it and apple never asks for your SS or contacts you like that.

Always, always check the email header if you feel the email is suspicious and certainly before you click any links in the email or even open any images in the email.  Never open any attachments without being 100% sure they are from a verifiable source.

7 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

I get those all the time.  Always check the email header for where the email originated from.  If it isn't apple.com then you don't trust it and apple never asks for your SS or contacts you like that.

Always, always check the email header if you feel the email is suspicious and certainly before you click any links in the email or even open any images in the email.  Never open any attachments without being 100% sure they are from a verifiable source.

I checked after the fact and it was not apple. It displayed AppStore with long email address behind it.