IGNORED

Tips for a new turkey hunter

Ringtail

19 hours ago, Ringtail said:

I drew my first turkey tag this year. D week zone 14. Anyone have any tips to share to get a newbie started out in the right direction? Picking the right location, gear to get, calls to use, decoys, etc? Anything would be a big help thanks in advance. 

Location? Public or private.. After a heavy rain walk muddy trails they leave an indelible foot print.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I won't add any advice, sounds like you got a whole bunch already. But I will say D week is my favorite. You probably won't hear the amount of gobbling you do earlier in the season, but the birds are still looking for love, and you have the option to hunt all day. And there will be less guys in the woods by then. Good luck!!!

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

Pattern your shotgun. I set up my older friend down from me a couple of hundred yards. After he had 3 misses and a lot of excuses in two days the turkeys left and I never filled my tag that year.

Plus if they are coming in let them.

Edited by rocky

22 minutes ago, Lanceinpa said:

I don't think anyone posted this. Get yourself a Thermacell. Bugs can be unreal in the spring woods. 

Oh boy got that right!!!NEVER leave home without one or two!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt