IGNORED

Tips for a new turkey hunter

Ringtail

To start off your gonna have a blast. But there’s too much to say in one post. But my best advice is don’t over call and wait awhile after a bird shuts up, don’t move. Too many guys move to early when a bird shuts up, had then shut up for 45 minutes and have them come in and kill them. And also forgot the old way of not getting closer than 100 yards to a rooster bird. If you go in early enough I’ve sat right under a rooster bird and killed it good luck. Hunting birds is amazing. But since you have a D tag it’s gonna be a little harder. 

Never scout turkey and practice your call at the same time.  You will burn spots this way.

Turkey have a tendency to roost on the S/SE side of hills.  They like the AM sun.  This isn’t scientific, but it’s something I’ve observed.

Scout, scout, scout.  I find it easier to scout at dusk.  Turkey will start to roost ride before and around sunset.  You can catch them flying up or see them roosting in trees.  They camouflage well on the roost, so it will take some practice spotting them.

Practice sitting with your back against a tree and not moving for an hour.  Learn to rest your gun/bow in such a way that it is easily accessible with little movement.

Turkey are as dumb as rocks.  I shot one in a group of turkeys and as he lay dying, his buddies just kept walking.  If you are in a blind and a turkey walks up, you can almost literally reach out and strangle one (ask LPJR about the trouble he had one time putting a turkey down...a story well worth listening to that will not disappoint).

And, finally, learn patience.  Turkey hunting is a blast.  Even getting busted by a Tom you’re calling in can be a good story.  Can’t tell you how many times I’ve called something in only to see they came in from the side and totally busted me.  It’ll happen to you, and it doesn’t mean the hunt is over, just temporarily delayed.

Good luck out there!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

50 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

I drew my first turkey tag this year. D week zone 14. Anyone have any tips to share to get a newbie started out in the right direction? Picking the right location, gear to get, calls to use, decoys, etc? Anything would be a big help thanks in advance. 

Where you located? If not too far from me (somerset) Happy to show you how to run calls and you can try a bunch of different types to see what you like.  

Keep it simple. D week will be a blast because you can hunt all day.

Scout as much as you can. You'll put the puzzle together, where they roost, feed, hangout.

As for calling less is more. If your just starting out try a single reed mouth call, movement is the killer try to remain as still as you can. Patience and perseverance. There's a ton of calls out there box, pot, push pins etc... find what works for you.  At the end of the day have fun! Its definitely addicting!! Good luck! 

Take Mike up on his offer. He's a very good turkey hunter/Caller :up:

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF - Tri County Longbeards

New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

55 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

I drew my first turkey tag this year. D week zone 14. Anyone have any tips to share to get a newbie started out in the right direction? Picking the right location, gear to get, calls to use, decoys, etc? Anything would be a big help thanks in advance. 

Where you located? If not too far from me (somerset) Happy to show you how to run calls and you can try a bunch of different types to see what you like.  

Get a ground blind. 

Don't bother scouting now...kinda of early.  Don't bother during  A week,  hunters will scatter the birds.  During B&C scout the evenings. From a distance if you can. If birds are in a field at sunset they are roosting nearby. And if you can check the mornings. Not necessarily for birds but vehicles... Other hunters. See if the area has pressure. 

Get a ground blind. Nothing fancy. Nothing big. You will need every advantage you can without being spotted. They are like deer. They will come in behind you. Especially birds that been shot at. 

I have 3 simple rules when taking out newbies...

1) Call Less. Listen More. If you hit them too hard with calls, they will either bust you, or immediately strut and you won’t be able to make them budge.

2) Always start your morning uphill of the birds (I hunt in the mountainous part of the state). They will naturally flush down to the uphill side of the roosting tree. Plus you can locate gobbles better when your higher up.

3) Don’t be unreasonable. You can’t beat nature. You can’t expect turkeys to close a 500yd gap. You need to understand that in the animal world, hens go to the toms, when hunting you’re trying to reverse nature. Help yourself and close the gap as best you can. Sometimes that movement in your calling is all it’ll take for a Tom to get frustrated and come to you.

Other than that, find a veteran and see if they will take you out. That’s the best way to learn.

don't get discouraged if it takes some time and effort to work birds correctly.

Much better to have to work hard and learn daily than just have one come running in and shoot it.

enjoy each hunt , as they all are a success if you learn just one thing each day.

PATIENCE makes a turkey hunter

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Dont over call is most important.

I dont scout.. I like to "run and gun"
Just quietly walk. Stop and Yelp every 100 yards or so.
Once you hear an answer make a game plan.
Best to have a 2nd person calling about 50 yards behind the shooter.. this way when the bird gets 50 yards and hangs up he will be in the shooters lap.

Push button box call is foolproof. Wooden styles sound better than plastic imo.

Box call is nice when locating because it is loud.

I carry 20 calls and use the same 2 every time.

Best thing you can do to seal the deal on a bird that wont commit is a few soft purrs then stop calling and wait. It will be hard because you will want to check to see if hes still around. Its it quite a rush when you get a bird gobbling his head off and coming in fast.. but it can shut down in a second and disappear. Best to just wait quietly and soft purrs once every 10 mins.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com