IGNORED

2019 Garden thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Greybeard said:

A bit behind you southern farmers, but it's starting to grow.  Getting too much rain and cold in the mid 40s.  Glad i held off putting in the melon seed.

Lettuce almost stopped growing.  Potatoes are doing good and beans that came up on there own.

15576966880907936409931258818557.thumb.jpg.e8bbcd442bcea1ba3085d5e02376077b.jpg

1557696753307922682856321312533.thumb.jpg.29c991edb6e92a8eec26576f4aa6a8a0.jpg

15576968078164086902464451752281.thumb.jpg.22e56c70d9d7c52171025befb1818b33.jpg

Nice 

we do have advantage being south. Temps no lower than 50s for over a month

Some great looking gardens going out there. I have some romaine and chickory going pretty good. I put in a dozen cayenne pepper plants- should be picking some in about a week to 10 days. I also have bells in, carrots, zucchini and cukes. Let's see how this 3 day cold front affects what was a great start. This is first year not putting in maters. The last couple years they have rotted on the vines, my next door neighbor the same thing and the other neighbor gets his soil tested, puts in what they recommend and his tomatoes were rotting on vines as well. Don't know what is happening since everything else does great. I will get a pic or two when this rain gets out of here.

1 hour ago, deadonshot2 said:

Some great looking gardens going out there. I have some romaine and chickory going pretty good. I put in a dozen cayenne pepper plants- should be picking some in about a week to 10 days. I also have bells in, carrots, zucchini and cukes. Let's see how this 3 day cold front affects what was a great start. This is first year not putting in maters. The last couple years they have rotted on the vines, my next door neighbor the same thing and the other neighbor gets his soil tested, puts in what they recommend and his tomatoes were rotting on vines as well. Don't know what is happening since everything else does great. I will get a pic or two when this rain gets out of here.

Too wet, maybe?   Tomatoes don't like a lot of water, and we had a lot of rain last year.  Plant them on mounds'

Last few years I had a brown fungus killing the plants and brown specks getting on the tomatoes.  Picked up a spray this year.  Hope it works or I'll be moving the plants to another bed far away for next year.

Edited by Greybeard

4 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Too wet, maybe?   Tomatoes don't like a lot of water, and we had a lot of rain last year.  Plant them on mounds

Thats what my neighbor did and he still had those issues.  I may give that a try though. Let me know how those blueberry bushes do. I put some in a couple years ago for my wife but they are not growing that well. Have doubled in size but not impressed with how many blueberries they produce.

16 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

Thats what my neighbor did and he still had those issues.  I may give that a try though. Let me know how those blueberry bushes do. I put some in a couple years ago for my wife but they are not growing that well. Have doubled in size but not impressed with how many blueberries they produce.

They take a few years to get roots established and produce berries.  Can be longer or shorter depending on area and how many years they grew before you bought them.  Usually the plant will have been trimmed back to the stalk before shipping.  I look for the heavier stalks with good new growth coming off it.  Home depot and lowes had crap this year.  I got mine at walmart early to get the best out of the bunch.  I have poor clay soil, and all the huckleberry bushes have grown to 8-10ft.  They grow slow at first.

The bushes in the front row in the pic were from home depot and lowes 3 years ago, and the back row are from walmart this year.  Bushes on either side are the huckleberries from over 30 years ago.

Edited by Greybeard