rgw

2019 Garden thread

So who is preparing their gardens for peas and lettuce. I got mine tilled today. I will till one more time but I am ready to put peas in the ground

Screenshot_20190317-181927.png

• Like 5

My wife's cousin always said u can plant peas on st paddy's day!

I have yet to til the ground tho.  

Jus read a neat article in Costco Connection magazine bout keyhole gardens....popular raised garden bed in Africa....idea is to have a compost area at center of raised bed. Mite try one this yr!!  

http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/201903/MobilePagedReplica.action?pm=1&folio=Cover#pg1

Screenshot_20190307-184834.png

Screenshot_20190307-184808.png

• Like 2

Mine is still too wet and frozen.  Been dumping ashes in it over the winter and have a compost pile to till into it when the time comes.  Going to pick up more blueberry bushes, walmart this time when they come in.  Bought them at Home depot and lowes 2 years ago, then seen plants at walmart that were 3 times the size.  2 years of growth, and the ones I have still aren't as big as walmarts were.  Looked at the plants again in lowes and hd this year, and they are half the size of the plants they sold 2 years ago.

• Like 4

I have 1800 bulbs of garlic planted. Still have 100+ bulbs to eat from last year. No vampires here.

• Like 5

I want to put in a raised bed garden this year. Have never gardened before. Are there any tips you can give a newbie? I’ve been reading some articles recently to get an idea of what to do. Plan on starting the project soon. 

• Like 1

I never did a raised garden. Only advice I could give is pick a spot with plenty of sun and protected from deer and rabbits

• Like 2

Look up pallet planting also.  Lot of articles on raised gardens, hanging tomato plants upside down in buckets too, if you don't have space for a garden.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Look up pallet planting also.  Lot of articles on raised gardens, hanging tomato plants upside down in buckets too, if you don't have space for a garden.

I actually thought about trying some upside down bucket tomato plants this year. I herd it works really well and would probably help from rodents eating a bunch

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KBfishing said:

I have 1800 bulbs of garlic planted. Still have 100+ bulbs to eat from last year. No vampires here.

Or non Italians! Lol.  I love garlic too! You can never have too much.

• Like 1

I got mine tilled Yesterday. Tilled in about 3 yards of composted horse manure. Going to start on a new deer fence today then start planting.

• Like 2

Got the flower beds cleaned up today. Scraped enough compost off the frozen pile to top off the raised beds.  Wood sides of the raised beds get heaved up from the frost.  I stomp them back down each year the best I can.  They were 4" deep, now they are just about sitting on top of the ground.   Plants are already coming up.

• Like 2