IGNORED

Just took a ride and some pics...

LPJR

14 hours ago, LPJR said:

...in Bigfoot country.

Took a ride before dark just now to one of my favorite parts of the state to just go and clear my head.....Walpack...

Got some pics of different spots including the old abandoned "Ghost Tree" farm as I called it when I was a kid because of the bone white trees,  to the campground that is still going strong just past the Walpack Inn, to the white house, now dilapidated that we used to stop at and pick up night crawlers for fishing as kids on the way to Flatbrookville with my Dad, Uncle Mimi, Uncle Joe, and Uncle Gin.....It is the old white house just before the gun range on the right side of the road, where we used to get night crawlers in the small section to the right of the building...

And there are always some cool old cars at the Old Layton Garage being restored on the way back like the one in the pic...

20190314_171841.jpg

20190314_171448.jpg

20190314_171644.jpg

20190314_171743.jpg

20190314_171824.jpg

20190314_171552.jpg

20190314_171610.jpg

20190314_171854.jpg

20190314_171629.jpg

20190314_171919.jpg

20190314_170810.jpg

what no pics of the Layton General store????  

13 hours ago, Rusty said:

Nice pictures lou! Been to all them spots many times many moons ago my first experience was in the sixties when I was in a Boy Scout Troop we used to go to Camp Mohegan that was a boy scout camp now it's Mohican outdoor resource center with a 99 year lease from the state when I turn 14 and got my license from Bucks & Bows on Fridays after school I used to take my bow uncased,walk to Route 3 Clifton and hitchhiked there. The mountains I hunted were three thousand acres they were owned by or at least by the Coventry hunting club they held their meetings in a Tavern that was right next to where now is Worthington Campground when I got my driver's license I bought a Honda cb350 and would pack it up and drive up there and hunt then for the night just drive up some old Fire Road and sleep under the stars never thought a bears back then LOL. Later I bought a K5 Chevy blazer going to hunting club barbertown Sportsman's we had a least one year private closed Waters access on the flatbrook,them were good days! Thanks for sharing the pictures Louis!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

When I was  a little guy, mom an pop would bring us up to Blue Mountain Lakes where they owned property on the back end of the lake. We would "camp" in the station wagon and every Sunday make the drive to Walpack for mass. I was "volunteered" by dad to be the altar boy whenever we were there. Those were the days when the mass was in Latin and I remember having to wear a cassock that dragged on the floor when I walked.....(I was a little guy).  

My brother and I, along with our boys, still deer hunt the ridge between BML and Crater Lake. I'll be up there during turkey also.

Thanks for the pics

Love that area! Camped at Mrs.Bs a lot.  when it was mainly tents. She was one tough cookie! She had a Buck and a Doe that where her pets. She got mad when they ate her Daughter in Laws Small field of White corn that they used to sell and told us to kill them all! Bow hunted right down the road where it divides.:up:

On 3/15/2019 at 8:24 AM, Deerslayer21 said:

what no pics of the Layton General store????  

Funny Deerslayer, I tried to get a pic of it, but there was a ton of cars commuting back to PA when I tried to take it....

Love the Mail Pouch Tobacco sign that is fading on the side. Attached this pic I just found from the web...

It is a shame that the deli/luncheonette went under because it is a great spot for breakfast and coffee. Especially with all of the drivers coming down from Dingman's Ferry....There was always no room for parking though, even during hunting season there.....

image.png.f663df3199b263fe10c7595ae795a162.png

On 3/16/2019 at 2:05 PM, LPJR said:

Funny Deerslayer, I tried to get a pic of it, but there was a ton of cars commuting back to PA when I tried to take it....

Love the Mail Pouch Tobacco sign that is fading on the side. Attached this pic I just found from the web...

It is a shame that the deli/luncheonette went under because it is a great spot for breakfast and coffee. Especially with all of the drivers coming down from Dingman's Ferry....There was always no room for parking though, even during hunting season there.....

image.png.f663df3199b263fe10c7595ae795a162.png

used to stop there and get a sandwich and head up to Layton for the day.....  Would always stop at jumboland in the AM for breakfast or the 5 star diner occasionally... 

Nice pics, I’ll be opening my camper back up for the season in a few weeks. You actually got a bit of a friend’s camper in your shot. A retired State Trooper owns the campground now, and charges $2000 for the season with free winter storage. The White House that you mentioned is known as the Jane Layton house, and if I remember correctly it’s circa 1830’s. The historical marker that  mentions the Harrison and Symmes families doesn’t tell you that their”mansion” was located in the campground. If you go to the rear of the field where the road splits for tent camping, there is a small marker back there. Finally, the last owner of the general store has reopened on 206 south in Montague as Yia Yias Greek kitchen.

Edited by bwd172