IronBait

First Turkey Gun ( 535 Combo vs 835 vs 870 express combo)

Yeah Scotty155 my pit loves antlers too!  chews them up!  They only thing she can not destroy in a matter of minutes....haha!

I have an original ulti-mag 835 12 gauge..... Has to be 25 years old......tack driver and all factory....put a tru glo red dot on it a few years ago.....have killed birds out to 50 yds no problem....because I can  of course.....not because I had to!!!! 🦃🦃🦃Shoot Remington Nitro 3" shells

• Like 2

If you're buying a brand new gun, I would skip buying anything Remington. Their quality control is garbage these days. And as far as the Mossberg family, I'd go with a Mossberg 500 combo (see link attached).

https://www.mossberg.com/product/500-combo-fielddeer-54243/

This combo will be good enough to shoot anything in NJ, from deer to small animal, and any type of bird.

On a side note, it's my understanding the 535 is made from a 500 action so the weight is the same. But due to the increased recoil of a 3.5" vs 3" shell, the 535 will definitely bite you more. And there's no reason why you need a 3.5" in NJ. But that's just my opinion.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, yoda4x4 said:

If you're buying a brand new gun, I would skip buying anything Remington. Their quality control is garbage these days. And as far as the Mossberg family, I'd go with a Mossberg 500 combo (see link attached).

https://www.mossberg.com/product/500-combo-fielddeer-54243/

This combo will be good enough to shoot anything in NJ, from deer to small animal, and any type of bird.

On a side note, it's my understanding the 535 is made from a 500 action so the weight is the same. But due to the increased recoil of a 3.5" vs 3" shell, the 535 will definitely bite you more. And there's no reason why you need a 3.5" in NJ. But that's just my opinion.

David

Thanks. Having never hunted with a gun and looking for something for both deer and turkey,,,,I keep coming back to this gun

• Like 2

Had both the 535 and 835 and both did well for me. Now shoot a 935 and love this gun. Never shot or hunted with the 870.

I bought a new Remington Super Mag 4-5 years ago and use it strictly for turkey hunting. It’s killed every one I fired at, never jammed and patterns excellent w/ a super full choke and 3” Longbeard XR’s. It’s all I could ask for. I had some pretty major shoulder surgery and a gun stock sit dead on the scar from it. Shooting 3 1/2’s kicked like a mule and hurt bad so I only shoot 3”. This is not to say the Mossberg isn’t a great gun and possibly even better than the Remington but, I’ve never tried one and can’t comment on them.

Mossberg 835 has advantages no other 12 ga can over come. I should add the 935 to that cause it’s the same thing. The barrel is overboard to 10 gauge. Forcing cones lengthened. The shot takes less abuse. 

The 870s are good guns. I’m referring to the old ones but are you talking favorites or best gun? Best gun without doing lots of tricks is the Mossberg 835/935.  The disadvantage of the guns is the kick if you’re recoil sensitive. 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2019 at 7:15 AM, Devil Horns said:

The SXP is a nice gun too. I believe it is also over bored to 10 gauge. 

The SXP is back bored (forcing cone work) not over bored to 10 ga

• Like 1

I Just wanted to go ahead and say thank you to everyone who gave me their best recommendations. It was all appreciated. After sitting down and taking all things into consideration. I did get the Mossberg 535 Turkey/Waterfowl combo. I just thought you all deserved to see what I ended up getting. Thanks again :) :). Time to knock down some turkeys lol

image.thumb.png.4795dd4289a64bd9460e2b07af4c6f25.png

• Like 3

Good luck w it. All turkey load/choke combos do not shoot straight. Pattern the gun and if need be install adjustable sights if none are included. It’s hard to tell from pic but looks likes something is there. 

Just now, Foggy Mountain said:

Good luck w it. All turkey load/choke combos do not shoot straight. Pattern the gun and if need be install adjustable sights if none are included. It’s hard to tell from pic but looks likes something is there. 

Yea, it came with Trueglow sights. Adjustable rear. And yes I plan on patterning it. gonna buy a few diff brands of turkey load and test them with the chokes. anything special i should look for in regard to shot pattern?

13 minutes ago, IronBait said:

I Just wanted to go ahead and say thank you to everyone who gave me their best recommendations. It was all appreciated. After sitting down and taking all things into consideration. I did get the Mossberg 535 Turkey/Waterfowl combo. I just thought you all deserved to see what I ended up getting. Thanks again :) :). Time to knock down some turkeys lol

Nice gun IronBait, best of luck with it and have fun.  :up::up:

4 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Nice gun IronBait, best of luck with it and have fun.  :up::up:

T:agree:

Best of luck with it. Let us know how she patterns.

David

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, IronBait said:

Yea, it came with Trueglow sights. Adjustable rear. And yes I plan on patterning it. gonna buy a few diff brands of turkey load and test them with the chokes. anything special i should look for in regard to shot pattern?

There’s different ways to look at patterns. Some guys absolutely want the furthest solid pattern but than a 10 yard shot is tough. 

Imo a decent pattern, with decent density and no holes is what you want. Not super tight with a decent halo. The halo means the surrounding area that you’d be aiming for. 

When people would ask me my thoughts I’d typically recommend either federal mag shok, not mag strut or XX supreme Winchester’s. They’re both copper plated lead and relatively inexpensive. The problem is they’re both discontinued.

Federal now has a grand slam load. It too is copper plated lead. The difference is the wad. The old flight control wad federal had wouldn’t work well with ported chokes. Somehow the new flight control flex wad which supposedly still has rear petals is ok in ported chokes. I’d try that. I also have had luck in the past with Remington premium. Not the Nitro’s. I’ve never had luck with them. Id start there trying different chokes and if you get a good pattern, zero gun and find it’s effective range. Reg non plated lead can work too but it’ll blow the pattern  quicker typically. Stay 5s, 6s. 4s work too but you’ll get a better pattern going smaller shot size. While I’m on this, Winchester longbeards are another option. I’ll be honest, they’re too tight very often especially if you’re not familiar with everything involved, offering very little room for error.  

Some of the heavier than lead type loads shoot well but are very expensive. You really don’t need them but you can certainly try them too. Just an FYI don’t even think about the hornady’s. 

Edited by Foggy Mountain