IGNORED

First Turkey Gun ( 535 Combo vs 835 vs 870 express combo)

IronBait

I have an original ulti-mag 835 12 gauge..... Has to be 25 years old......tack driver and all factory....put a tru glo red dot on it a few years ago.....have killed birds out to 50 yds no problem....because I can  of course.....not because I had to!!!! 🦃🦃🦃Shoot Remington Nitro 3" shells

If you're buying a brand new gun, I would skip buying anything Remington. Their quality control is garbage these days. And as far as the Mossberg family, I'd go with a Mossberg 500 combo (see link attached).

https://www.mossberg.com/product/500-combo-fielddeer-54243/

This combo will be good enough to shoot anything in NJ, from deer to small animal, and any type of bird.

On a side note, it's my understanding the 535 is made from a 500 action so the weight is the same. But due to the increased recoil of a 3.5" vs 3" shell, the 535 will definitely bite you more. And there's no reason why you need a 3.5" in NJ. But that's just my opinion.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, yoda4x4 said:

If you're buying a brand new gun, I would skip buying anything Remington. Their quality control is garbage these days. And as far as the Mossberg family, I'd go with a Mossberg 500 combo (see link attached).

https://www.mossberg.com/product/500-combo-fielddeer-54243/

This combo will be good enough to shoot anything in NJ, from deer to small animal, and any type of bird.

On a side note, it's my understanding the 535 is made from a 500 action so the weight is the same. But due to the increased recoil of a 3.5" vs 3" shell, the 535 will definitely bite you more. And there's no reason why you need a 3.5" in NJ. But that's just my opinion.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Thanks. Having never hunted with a gun and looking for something for both deer and turkey,,,,I keep coming back to this gun

I bought a new Remington Super Mag 4-5 years ago and use it strictly for turkey hunting. It’s killed every one I fired at, never jammed and patterns excellent w/ a super full choke and 3” Longbeard XR’s. It’s all I could ask for. I had some pretty major shoulder surgery and a gun stock sit dead on the scar from it. Shooting 3 1/2’s kicked like a mule and hurt bad so I only shoot 3”. This is not to say the Mossberg isn’t a great gun and possibly even better than the Remington but, I’ve never tried one and can’t comment on them.

I Just wanted to go ahead and say thank you to everyone who gave me their best recommendations. It was all appreciated. After sitting down and taking all things into consideration. I did get the Mossberg 535 Turkey/Waterfowl combo. I just thought you all deserved to see what I ended up getting. Thanks again :) :). Time to knock down some turkeys lol

image.thumb.png.4795dd4289a64bd9460e2b07af4c6f25.png

Just now, Foggy Mountain said:

Good luck w it. All turkey load/choke combos do not shoot straight. Pattern the gun and if need be install adjustable sights if none are included. It’s hard to tell from pic but looks likes something is there. 

Yea, it came with Trueglow sights. Adjustable rear. And yes I plan on patterning it. gonna buy a few diff brands of turkey load and test them with the chokes. anything special i should look for in regard to shot pattern?

13 minutes ago, IronBait said:

I Just wanted to go ahead and say thank you to everyone who gave me their best recommendations. It was all appreciated. After sitting down and taking all things into consideration. I did get the Mossberg 535 Turkey/Waterfowl combo. I just thought you all deserved to see what I ended up getting. Thanks again :) :). Time to knock down some turkeys lol

Nice gun IronBait, best of luck with it and have fun.  :up::up: