IronBait

First Turkey Gun ( 535 Combo vs 835 vs 870 express combo)

The 535 combo was my first gun and I got it in three barrels, rifled, waterfowl and turkey. To this day, it is STILL my turkey gun of choice. I use the choke that comes with it with the Winchester long beard xr and it works wonders. I’m looking at new chokes just for curiosity sake, but I have no gripes with that gun!

• Like 1

older 870s are great....I have the 835 since it first came out, zero issues.....The factory turkey choke is very good, but I have a Indian Creek Choke and it's great...the difference between the 835 and 535 is that the 835's barrel is overbored meaning it's a 10ga barrel that is designed to be a 12ga......basically it's stiffer therefore in theory it's more accurate.....the 835 recoils like a mule

The 835 is likely going to shoot better patterns. However, as others have mentioned, the 835 seems to kick way harder than other guns.  I can shoot my 870 with 3.5" loads and never really think about the recoil.   

Here is something to think on...

How about a Henry Single shot shotgun?

Look at these: https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/single-shot-shotgun/

You have a choice of either a 12 Ga. or a 20 Ga. 

Either plain or with fancy dressings.

The best thing about these shotguns is you can change out the chokes for what critter you are hunting that particular day.

Practice with a single shot rifle/shotgun, and you will never need that second follow up shot

It just takes only one, single, accurately placed round and you're in the pink.

You don't need multiple shots with lots of noise.

Just one shot... one.

Makes you slow down and enjoy the hunt.:up:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IronBait said:

Hi All,

Need some help making a decision. Not sure which shotgun I should get. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Giy on here selling a winchester sxp, probably will out perform the others you’re looking at. It’s 3” but that is really all you need

Even if you get work done to the 535 and the 870 they will never out pattern an 835. I dont believe there is a 12 guage that can out pattern one.

10 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

Giy on here selling a winchester sxp, probably will out perform the others you’re looking at. It’s 3” but that is really all you need

The SXP is a nice gun too. I believe it is also over bored to 10 gauge. 

Posted (edited)

I have the Mossberg 535 Turkey Thug with red dot and Carlson's .660  Best pattern I've ever gotten. Average 

300+/- hits in a 10" ring at 40 yards using Winchester Longbeard XR's 3.5" 6's.

Edited by Shakyjake

Go buy an older 870 and a extra full turkey choke............it's a never miss....never misfire....never jamb...type of gun.....just my opinion....but I've been around a lot of guys with Mossbergs.......good luck with your search...!

Bought an 870 30 years ago with two barrels.  One was a 28in with chokes and a 20in smooth bore for slugs. Converted smooth bore to accept chokes.  Put in extra full turkey choke.  Killed no less than 30 turkeys  with that gun at all ranges and conditions.  In my opinion the 870 is a work horse that never failed me. 

• Like 1

I use an 870 for turkey and waterfowl,  it's been a very good gun while hunting. I'd say for the price it's an all around very reliable gun. I will say that i have experienced many shell ejection issues while using various target loads in the 870. I have not had the same issues ever while shooting turkey load or waterfowl loads, only problem is with target loads.