IGNORED

First Turkey Gun ( 535 Combo vs 835 vs 870 express combo)

IronBait

7 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

870’s today are a single shot, they jam after every shot. Hope that helps

I heard older model 870 are great and newers are meh. Also heard newer are great as well. Not sure where the big differences are though.

20 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

Go handle both. The safety on a Remington is by the trigger. The safety on a Mossberg is on top/rear of receiver (use thumb to engage) .  Out of the 3 I would recommend the 835. 

Nick

Yea, I handled both. I like the location of the safety  on the 535 better. My only reason for not going for 835 is financial and I want to make sure I enjoy the sport before dropping $$$ on top rated guns.

835 and 935 have an overbored barrel which hold tighter patterns. I’ve had both guns along with an 870. 935 was my favorite because it’s a semi auto but I currently use the 835 which holds a great pattern with the turkey choke it comes with.

the 870 you would have to buy a choke separately for turkey and the full choke doesn’t hold a great pattern. I never bought a turkey choke for it so I would guess a decent turkey choke would get you better results.

on a budget hands down the 835 ulti mag it comes turkey ready in Mossy oak obsession camo 

6 years ago i guess it was I bought my first long gun -- an 870 supermag with the synthetic black material. I still use it today as my turkey gun AND my slug gun for deer. I have two barrels - one smooth bore and one rifled with scope as my slug gun.

My thoughts on it:

1) I've killed my share of turkey with it, and with the slug barrel, I took my first firearm-season deer with it. As that guy says on "Forged in Fire" - "It will keeeeeeeell".

2) I really don't like the safety because I'm left-handed and the safety isn't reversible for left-handers. So if you are a lefty, keep that in mind. But because I use it only for turkey and deer, it really is only a single shot gun for me anyway and I don't have a problem flipping the safety off because I usually have plenty of time to do it, and I can get my thumb on it pretty easily.

3) I won't use this 870 for waterfowl or pheasant - that's what my Beretta A300 semi-auto is for. But I think I would feel the same with any pump shotgun. However, yes, I have had some instances where I couldn't eject a shell. It doesn't happen a lot - it is rare that it happens, but it does happen.

20 minutes ago, IronBait said:

Yea, I handled both. I like the location of the safety  on the 535 better. My only reason for not going for 835 is financial and I want to make sure I enjoy the sport before dropping $$$ on top rated guns.

The 835 will outshoot the 535 every day of the week. Get the 835. The only negative is recoil. 

All good but affordable guns.

I like my 870 because it is slim, and points easily. I like the 535 because it is light and easy to carry all day. But my vote goes for an 835, MOST will pattern great if you put the time into them at the range.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

835 is the best choice . It has an"over bored" barrel meaning the geometry between the chamber and the choke tubes is optimized for a tighter pattern with 3.5" shells.

A 535 is simply a Mossberg 500 with a 3.5 inch chamber.

I never had an 870 so I cannot comment on it