Swamp_Yankee

Bottle hunting on the farm thus far

Grabbed two bottles and some jars from out of the hedgerow on a walk with my daughters this morning.  This is what we've found over the last year and a half or so:

zEz4YyS.jpg

From left-the brown bottle looks like maybe medicine?  Here are the bottom markings:

X0yjmEQ.jpg

I'm not sure what the next item is-candle holder?  Ink well?  It's brown glass with a grid type design around the outside.  I found it when a tree uprooted in the hedgerow-it was pulled up out of the ground with some old bits of tile and brick.  There are no other discernible markings.  The clear bottle doesn't have much in the way of markings at all.  The shorter brown bottle is marked "CERTO" which is a type of gelatin used in making jams and preserves.  I found one on a bottle forum and it seems to be from the 1940s.  The brown bottle on the end is interesting because it has a lot of air bubbles in the glass.  This is the bottom:

hlKotZ4.jpg

It says "SEITZ" "EASTON, PA."  Some quick Google searching revealed that SEITZ brewery closed in 1938, so the bottle is at least 80 years old.  This is just what we've spotted on walks in the fields, etc...we haven't really dug for anything yet, and this is only what we've been able to find whole.  I'm hoping to find an old trash dump site on the property eventually.  

Edited by Swamp_Yankee
  • Like 8

pretty cool. medicine bottles tend to be smaller.  bottles with air pockets tend to be older. I have a similar bottle like yours (3 from the left). mine has very little label left on it. mine was from 1958. found it buried under a road during an emergency sewer bypass. 

judging by the tops of your bottles. they seem to be cork top bottles. cool finds non the less. love history. 

Edited by Kype

Cool. Brings back memories.  My dad and uncle have dug more bottles than you can imagine.  They dug and collected old bottles and antique for 40 years. If I show them the picture they probably would know what they are. 

Edited by Buck154

Some nice finds there!

This is my favorite that I have found so far.  Love the blue bottles!

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

• Like 5

Love bottle huntin and have more than I know what to do with.  When I was a kid I used to take a backpack and walk the Mantua crick at low tide.  Rarely was it not full by the end of the day.  Always liked collecting the glass insulators also.  They're not all that rare, but I tried to get as many different  colors as I could.  Nice finds Swamp.

Edited by B B

14 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Some nice finds there!

This is my favorite that I have found so far.  Love the blue bottles!

Very cool-Seitz bottles as well.  They were around for a long time but only made it 5 years past the repeal of Prohibition.  Hoping to find more of them.

• Like 1

Nice!  Dig deeper in the dump site.  There used to be a RR going through my back yard.  Hobos(transients) riding the rails stayed in my neighbors shed around a century ago.  When I had my banks bulldozed back into the RR trench, there was a bunch of bottles in one spot.  Have a five gallon bucket full someplace, and a few months ago I rediscovered a few others that I had kept separate.  Liver and kidney cure, and a few other small medicine bottles with writing.   

Edited by Greybeard

Nice blob top. 

I've accumulated quite a few the past two winters from the raritain bay and up by the statue of liberty. From 1880s to 1920s. Even caught a prostatic leg in the harbor lol

7 minutes ago, FLEWTHECOUPE said:

Nice blob top. 

I've accumulated quite a few the past two winters from the raritain bay and up by the statue of liberty. From 1880s to 1920s. Even caught a prostatic leg in the harbor lol

Was it running fast? :happywave:

when I was a kid we shot THOUSANDS of old bottles back on the farm dumps.

One old boy scout camp had 4 or 5 glass dumps on it.

we shot glass there for years.

can only imagine how many bottles that would be collectables today

Place I hunt in Cream Ridge is loaded with them. For some reason there is a very large section on a steep slop where someone was dumping glass. Bottles and tons of old dishes. They llok all restaurant quality and there are hundreds of them. I found many intact bottles and even utility pole glass insulators. I found the area last December when my biggest buck to date, on this property, died right on top of it. I don't really collect stuff but maybe I should grab some pieces as I go and any of you can have it. I shot a doe in the same area this year and I juts looked at the picture and some glass is visible

B53E725E-A48E-4E5F-9B32-0FBD1B7E7D6C.jpeg

Edited by Lunatic