yoda4x4

Camping Help Needed - Tent and Campsite Advice Wanted

I plan on camping a little bit this summer; I want to take my daughter out for her first time.  With this said, I need a new tent.  Since it'll only be the 2 of us, I figure a 4 person tent would provide enough space.  What 4 person tent can you recommend that's very waterproof and yet won't be too hot in the summer?  Also, where do you recommend going camping where fishing can be done in fairly close proximity?  Appreciate your help guys.

David

Spruce Run is pretty good for a first-timers, there are campsites right by the water :fishing:, there are also bathrooms and showers on site. As far as the tent goes, I would buy something at Walmart since they have pretty good choice and price, plus you can get some miscellaneous items from the camping aisle while there.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

I plan on camping a little bit this summer; I want to take my daughter out for her first time.  With this said, I need a new tent.  Since it'll only be the 2 of us, I figure a 4 person tent would provide enough space.  What 4 person tent can you recommend that's very waterproof and yet won't be too hot in the summer?  Also, where do you recommend going camping where fishing can be done in fairly close proximity?  Appreciate your help guys.

Bear Creek Campground-camp right on the Flatbrook River in the heart of the Gap: 973 948 4384

• Like 1

Agree w Nomad. An expensive tent is unnecessary in summer. Just make sure it comes w a rain fly. Coleman are sufficient. I like Worthington state park on the Delaware river at the gap.

• Like 3

Not sure if they still make but Eureka Backcountry 2 or 4 (persons) is what I have.  Might be a little far for you but Campmor in Paramus is a good place to check out tents and camping gear.   I’d recommend Spruce Run or even Worthingron State Park to camp. 

• Agree 2

Stephen's State Park is great, that is my go to campground... lots of cool trails and you will see deer and other animals while walking. Also very family oriented campground.

As for tents I would go with an 8 person tent as you can fit e everything in there and be comfortable if you bring an inflatable bed or 2.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/camping/_/N-1102810/No-0/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105770880?recordsPerPage=18

Poles are already attached, remarkable!

Edited by Nomad

Go during the turkey season like these guys. This is definitely Nj back in the day!

• Haha 2

My suggestion would be to go as early in summer as possible if you truly want to be comfortable. Mid-late summer can be pretty miserable especially if you are trying to introduce someone. With that being said, Alp makes a great tent.

I've had my Eureka Timberline 4 person for over 10 years. I use it probably 5 times a year during all four seasons. It's even light enough for winter backpacking if split between people.

https://www.google.com/search?q=eureka+timberline+4&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US752&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVsrD10aLhAhUBU98KHeAhAB0Q_AUIDygC&biw=1680&bih=907

• Like 1

Go to Turkey Swamp park. They have electricity and water at site and hot showers and clean bathrooms. There is a lake at the park and plenty of trails to walk. I go at least 4 times a year there with my travel trailer

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk