Batsto

Favorite turkey choke and loads?

10 hours ago, Lunatic said:

On my Mossberg 835 I use the chock the gun came with and I don't see any reason to look elsewhere.
3" Remington Nitro load.

I enjoy patterning turkey guns more then shooting any other gun. I have shot thousands of rounds through 25 or 30 different chokes in 10 or more different guns. Take my advise and ditch the Remington Nitro rounds they are garbage. Give the longbeards a shot. I know you will like them. Even federal thugs are substantially better. Not just the pattern I think those nitros are even worse on actual birds.

19 minutes ago, mikejd said:

I enjoy patterning turkey guns more then shooting any other gun. I have shot thousands of rounds through 25 or 30 different chokes in 10 or more different guns. Take my advise and ditch the Remington Nitro rounds they are garbage. Give the longbeards a shot. I know you will like them. Even federal thugs are substantially better. Not just the pattern I think those nitros are even worse on actual birds.

I actually hate shooting 12ga gun so no I do not enjoy the process 

as to nitro I’m sure there are better loads but so far for me two shots and two dead birds. I keep it very simple. I take a shot and if it’s tight and on target I’m done. I have no desire trying different loads on any of my hunting guns unless I see really bad performance. The only time I change anything is when I can’t find what I usually use.  For you that’s part of the fun and that’s great.

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I actually hate shooting 12ga gun so no I do not enjoy the process 

as to nitro I’m sure there are better loads but so far for me two shots and two dead birds. I keep it very simple. I take a shot and if it’s tight and on target I’m done. I have no desire trying different loads on any of my hunting guns unless I see really bad performance. The only time I change anything is when I can’t find what I usually use.  For you that’s part of the fun and that’s great.

I like to tinker with patterns from Turkey loads to waterfowl...  I use a lead sled at the range takes the bite away from the magnum 3.5 loads

18 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I like to tinker with patterns from Turkey loads to waterfowl...  I use a lead sled at the range takes the bite away from the magnum 3.5 loads

Many guys do, I know I am an oddball. 

No two shotguns are going to shoot the same, regardless of what make.

And to confuse matters more, every gun shoots a choke and turkey load differently. If you plan to keep your shots within 30 yards, any full choke and a high-brass #6 will kill a turkey. But if you are pushing your shots further, then it gets difficult. If you are aiming for a good pattern at 40+ yards, the only way to find the best pattern is to get your hands on every choke and shell possible, and get ready to spend a lot of time at the range & patterning board.

As a rule of thumb, Winchester Longbeards are probably the tightest shooting lead shells out of MOST guns & chokes. Personally, I'm not a fan of lead turkey loads, especially if you plan to push your shots out to 40+yards. In my 835 & 535, I've been using HeviShot 3.5 5-6-7 loads, and I'm confident in a 50+ shot with the 835; the 535 has only been able to give me stellar patterns out to 40 yards, and that's OK, it's my fall turkey gun and shots are usually close. Your results can and will vary. I will probably start looking into TSS next year, Hevi Shot isn't offering the rebate that they used to.

If you want to simplify things and still have a good turkey gun that will give you 40+ yard patterns, get in touch with Rob Roberts. He'll try every choke you send him plus every one he has, to get you the best pattern possible, as well as polish the forcing cone and whatever else it takes. In the long run, it's cheaper than buying a bunch of chokes and shells. http://www.robrobertsgunworks.com/computerized-pattern-analysis

• Like 1

For those who plan on using a Browning Gold 3", I have excellent patterns with a Primos Jelly Head Choke and Winchester XX Copper Plated Turkey loads in #4 shot. 

I use the choke that came with my Mossberg 835 along with Winchester Supreme 3.5"#6 or#4shot. The pattern is about 8"at 20yds.

14 hours ago, vdep217 said:

I like to tinker with shot groups from my muzzleloaders and conventional rifles, but when it comes to shotgun slugs and turkey loads I just verify that everything is on target with the minimum amount of shooting.

16 hours ago, mikejd said:

Remington Nitros are BRUTAL!

On 3/1/2019 at 11:27 AM, 230jhp said:

I use the choke that came with my Mossberg 835 along with Winchester Supreme 3.5"#6 or#4shot. The pattern is about 8"at 20yds.

Just FYI Winchester Supreme is no more. A few places have a few left. If you like em stock up. 

I use a bunch of loads. Very commonly the supreme. I’m no fan of longbeards. Too tight at close range. A 20 is set up w hevis. One gun used federal heavy weight 7s. (Discontinued now). Some guns liked Federal Mag Shok (more discontinued stuff), from what Federal says their Grand Slam load is the same thing w a different wad that works in ported chokes. 

In a couple guns I have Indian Creeks. One sometimes a Briley. In an 835 I’m using the factory choke.  Got an 11-87 with an old Nu Line choke n an older 10 ga w a choke from Mark Bansner when he was the shotgun man. One of my kids guns is using a jelly head. 

Couple things to discuss. Remington Nitros are not real great. Just an FYI for those who are on a hunt for shells and not bashing anyone using them. 

The pattern pics in the earlier part of the thread shot two as head shots. Not sure if that’s on purpose but imo aiming for the wattles is better. 1/2 the shot goes up the neck, 1/2 the shot goes down. More effective use of pattern imo than throwing half the pattern into empty woods. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Just FYI Winchester Supreme is no more. A few places have a few left. If you like em stock up. 

I use a bunch of loads. Very commonly the supreme. I’m no fan of longbeards. Too tight at close range. A 20 is set up w hevis. One gun used federal heavy weight 7s. (Discontinued now). Some guns liked Federal Mag Shok (more discontinued stuff), from what Federal says their Grand Slam load is the same thing w a different wad that works in ported chokes. 

In a couple guns I have Indian Creeks. One sometimes a Briley. In an 835 I’m using the factory choke.  Got an 11-87 with an old Nu Line choke n an older 10 ga w a choke from Mark Bansner when he was the shotgun man. One of my kids guns is using a jelly head. 

Couple things to discuss. Remington Nitros are not real great. Just an FYI for those who are on a hunt for shells and not bashing anyone using them. 

The pattern pics in the earlier part of the thread shot two as head shots. Not sure if that’s on purpose but imo aiming for the wattles is better. 1/2 the shot goes up the neck, 1/2 the shot goes down. More effective use of pattern imo than throwing half the pattern into empty woods. 

You are correct with pattern and I said I was a but high..  the middle picture is perfect  and my 4 pattern is low.. and it's me.  I do not use a scope or sights but have been contemplating getting a cantilever smooth bore that's threaded for chokes. Bottom line is shoot what your gun likes that you are confident with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vdep217 said:

You are correct with pattern and I said I was a but high..  the middle picture is perfect  and my 4 pattern is low.. and it's me.  I do not use a scope or sights but have been contemplating getting a cantilever smooth bore that's threaded for chokes. Bottom line is shoot what your gun likes that you are confident with.

I wasn’t criticizing anyone. Just stating for fellows that wouldn’t have thought of that. 

There are sights that are adjustable and bolt to barrel ribs. Some guns really need it