Ringtail

Climber vs Sticks and Stand

Lone Wolf Sticks and Stand I got tired off not being in the perfect tree because a climber couldn't go up it. I hunt some random public land spots based on a map location, been burned to many times where a climber failed, with sticks thats not a concern anymore.

Seriously thinking about getting into a tree saddle this year to cut down on weight even more.

6 hours ago, MZ7Extreme said:

My setup

20190327_155041.jpg

MZ,

those are Helium sticks? Did you cut them down? I'm looking at the same setup w/xop vanish

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, megavites said:

MZ,

those are Helium sticks? Did you cut them down? I'm looking at the same setup w/xop vanish

No those are muddy pro's... Vanish is a nice stand.

I have the XOP Air Raid

Edited by MZ7Extreme

Jeez....sounds like someone knew rt where u were at if it was gone in the AM!!!  If u can find the guy huntin near that spot, he's probably the thief!!!

I roll predominantly w my Summit Viper climber and always carry in n out. Just feel safer being locked into a tree w stand n harness rather than stix n steps. Also nice to hav the option of moving to different trees per the wind or if they pick u out!

3 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Jeez....sounds like someone knew rt where u were at if it was gone in the AM!!!  If u can find the guy huntin near that spot, he's probably the thief!!!

I roll predominantly w my Summit Viper climber and always carry in n out. Just feel safer being locked into a tree w stand n harness rather than stix n steps. Also nice to hav the option of moving to different trees per the wind or if they pick u out!

Hunt with a set of sticks you may find you get picked out less .

Good to pick trees with foliage below your feet .

Something you can't do with a climber.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Hunt with a set of sticks you may find you get picked out less .

Good to pick trees with foliage below your feet .

Something you can't do with a climber.

Good point using natural camouflage...... I try and climb up trees that are growing in a cluster or that have adjacent branches as cover

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 3:39 PM, dlist777 said:

Here you go

20190327_153600.jpg

20190327_153547.jpg

20190327_153554.jpg

What length ball bungees do you use? 

17 minutes ago, VFL said:

What length ball bungees do you use? 

12 inch around post and 4 sticks (2x).

I also use 6 inch around each set of 2 sticks to really firm things up.

It doesn't rattle at all during walk in or out.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2019 at 3:39 PM, dlist777 said:

Here you go

20190327_153600.jpg

20190327_153547.jpg

20190327_153554.jpg

I have the same set up, same stand with lone wolf sticks. However I tie the sticks to the stand with linesman belt, which I need with me anyway to climb

I can't wait to get my new setup. Would really like to see the new Helium sticks in person (self stacking) but depends on when they release them.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, megavites said:

I can't wait to get my new setup. Would really like to see the new Helium sticks in person (self stacking) but depends on when they release them.

they told me April 1.    I'm looking into getting a set.. still might mod to 24in length

Edited by GoodOleBoysinPA

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, dlist777 said:

Here is a guy who can do it in 5 minutes.  2 seems really fast esp if you're tying on and everything.  For me, I take longer.  But, I go slow on purpose to make sure I'm not clanging / and being safe.  10 minutes is normal for me on an easy tree.  If the tree is gnarly with a bunch of branches it can take much longer.  Quiet is more important than fast in my opinion:

I just watched this video and it reminded me why I use my climber 95% of the time, as I can usually find a tree to climb in most spots. 

I do see that in some rare cases when there are no climbable trees, you would have to resort to stix, steps, etc, but my Summit Viper is tried and true, simple and safe!

If a tree is too fat for the normal length cable, you can get a few extra cables and bind em together to make em extra long......and the fatter the tree, the more your outline is broke up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/29/2019 at 1:14 PM, GoodOleBoysinPA said:

they told me April 1.    I'm looking into getting a set.. still might mod to 24in length

I guess they meant they would tell me in April.  Now they are saying "Looking like September is our best estimate at this time"    If it was my company, Id want them out before hunting season seems dumb.