Ringtail

Climber vs Sticks and Stand

Its hard to beat the portability and stealth of a Lone Wolf climber. I've tried it all over the years and the only way to e truly mobile is a climbing stand. Screw in steps and strapping sticks to a tree to pull up a stand each and every time is not very user friendly in comparison if you need to move on deer.  

I use both types of stands. I've also used both the Summit and Lone Wolf sit and climb climber. Both very comfortable, but preferred the Lone Wolf. The Lone Wolf hang on is another stand I will be purchasing with some portable sticks. You can get into more trees and they don't have to be perfect. Can't really go wrong w either of these options IMO

• Like 1

I use a Summit Viper with the wrap around seat. Roughly 15lbs. The warp around seat is definitely worth the extra money. 

If you can only buy one (climber vs. hangon w/ sticks), I'd go with a hang on with sticks as they are more versatile.  But, I use both.  I prefer the climber and use it 75-80% of the time.  But, the hang on is for spots I can't get a climber in or when I'm just going in blind and don't know exactly where I'm going to set up.  

Millenium M60u w/ 4 LW sticks is a good combo.  Or, the LW alpha w 4 LW sticks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, _X7 said:

Its hard to beat the portability and stealth of a Lone Wolf climber. I've tried it all over the years and the only way to e truly mobile is a climbing stand. Screw in steps and strapping sticks to a tree to pull up a stand each and every time is not very user friendly in comparison if you need to move on deer.  

totally disagree.

I can hang a set of sticks , and a stand in about 2 minutes.

It requires 5 straps being wrapped around the tree and pulled tight.

Don't have to hunt for a climbable tree, can hunt any tree a climber can go onto as well as ALL the tress a climber cant go on.

we move daily when hunting in Ohio and its a breeze.

as far as height IMO many guys thinking going over 20 foot is better due to  scent control I think its a mistake.

you DRASTICALLY cut down your window for shooting through 2 vitals going up higher than that.

being a little lower between 15/18 feet is ideal for getting 2 vitals and allows a greater margin of error for shots taken that hit both higher and lower than an intended aiming point.

Play wind correctly you don't need to go so high.

deer catching your movements when lower is made better by using a mask or balaclava at all times.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

I'll never use a climber again. Them days are gone of trying to fine the perfect tree and making noise and sweating climbing up.

Muddy sticks (rope style) and any treestand with a receiver. (Chippewa, millennium. Or muddy to name a few.. I like chippewa but $$)

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

Thats a good point. Millennium and Chippewe make it easy with their systems.

If you are going to hunt in the same area and they stole your climber during the night, what do you think will happen to a hang on stand?

Stick with a climber and take it out with you!

51 minutes ago, mightyhunter said:

If you are going to hunt in the same area and they stole your climber during the night, what do you think will happen to a hang on stand?

Stick with a climber and take it out with you!

I don't think he is looking to leave anything else in the woods. The combo of sticks and hang on will go in and out with him on every hunt I believe.

• Agree 1

I've been hunting more and more from the ground.   Very easy to relocate.   Sometimes I set up a blind, but mostly slip in a deadfall.  Shot many deer from the ground. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I prefer a climber but own several setups for hang on and sticks. If your going that route buy a millennium!  I have several M50’s that have never been in the woods and have been hanging in my basement. Let me know and we can talk price....

Edited by Rutting Buck

13 hours ago, _X7 said:

You are thinking big bulky sticks and stands. He is looking at portable sticks which are designed to go in and out with you on every hunt. Much better than a climber because you can get up any tree. They are small and light, I believe my set up, with 4 Lone wolf sticks  sticks and hang on, is lighter than my Lone Wolf sit on climber.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, dlist777 said:

If you can only buy one (climber vs. hangon w/ sticks), I'd go with a hang on with sticks as they are more versatile.  But, I use both.  I prefer the climber and use it 75-80% of the time.  But, the hang on is for spots I can't get a climber in or when I'm just going in blind and don't know exactly where I'm going to set up.  

Millenium M60u w/ 4 LW sticks is a good combo.  Or, the LW alpha w 4 LW sticks. 

I just got that setup - how do you attach the LW sticks to the M60u?