buckhound

Interesting story of a buck killed not recovered not far from me

9 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

Seeing posts on NJBB now - that claims the "hunter" had history of trespassing on the landowner's land including other of his properties.      Another "who can you believe anymore" story.   It's NJ - it sucks.  Unfortunately big antlers bring out the worst in EVERYONE, and around me - they don't even need to be that big, guys will trespass to shoot or even collect sheds of 120" bucks or even far less.    Pathetic

The court of Social Media: where no one has all the facts and no one will ever know what really happened, but that doesn't stop people from wildly speculating.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gman said:

there are two sides to every story. 

Yep, maybe even more than 2. Here's one more side to this one, apparently from the guys who found it. These quotes are from 2 different people, who also have more photos of it lying in the woods when it was found, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

"It goes back to September when the first pictures showed up on here taken from the road. My buddy had permission to hunt the landowners property. We had three different people try and sneak in and hunt him it was crazy. We also had permission to hunt pretty much all the woods within mile of where we ultimately found him when we were shed hunting last Thursday. It's a congested area out here so there aren't many places to hunt. The deer had a huge hole in it's side which I'm sure was the result of a slug, it took out a big chunk of rib and was forward enough that I'm sure it was in the lungs. So we told the landowner we found him then the wardens were called in hopes that an educational tag would be issued so the deer could be hung in the borough hall with the mounting cost being paid by the landowner. When the wardens came and didn't want to investigate the body and gunshot wound decided because of it's proximity to the road it was more than likely road kill and just wanted to take the horns. The landowner was then told there would be no guarantee that the horns would be given an educational tag asked the wardens if he could cut up the horns, the wardens then said they didn't give a shit what he did but they were taking the horns. He then took the chainsaw to them and they picked up the pieces. I don't condone what he did but under the circumstances and all the BS this deer caused in his life I understand".

and...

"The deer was poached, no arrow hole of was found, it had been hit with a slug, looks like it was hit mid to late January, also the hunter who claims he harvested it "legally" may have had permission to be on the property he let the arrow fly but that was the extent of it, he then tracked it across several properties without permission including another parcel owned by the landowner, then knocked on landowners door 3 weeks after he shot it for permission to search for it".

Edited by DV1

Just read this and about to post it. It’s a shame what people do over a set of antlers. Guy was just a sore loser because he couldn’t get an arrow in the deer first. It’s sad. 

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

The only facts that we can 100% say we know without announce of doubt is that the landowner took a chainsaw to the antlers .. That in itself is a giant Ahole move. With that undisputable fact I’m inclined to believe that the landowner is just an all around Dbag and maybe the hunter’s story holds water. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Rdfhunter said:

The only facts that we can 100% say we know without announce of doubt is that the landowner took a chainsaw to the antlers .. That in itself is a giant Ahole move. With that undisputable fact I’m inclined to believe that the landowner is just an all around Dbag and maybe the hunter’s story holds water. 

Oh, I'm not defending the landowners actions. That was a spiteful act of an angry person. But...many things about the originally posted story make zero sense to me. Like why wait 3 weeks. Would be nice to hear from the dog tracker that was called in, and the others he asked for permission to see if they verify that it all happened when, and as, claimed. Even is all that is true, the guy could have shot a different buck that he didn't recover, and then claimed this was the one he shot, after he heard it was found on a shed hunting trip. Never know.

Let this be a lesson to all of you...don't ever come down to South Jersey and incorrectly refer to Pork Roll as Taylor Ham!  Never know who might break out a chainsaw! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Let this be a lesson to all of you...don't ever come down to South Jersey and incorrectly refer to Pork Roll as Taylor Ham!  Never know who might break out a chainsaw! 

The times that I go through South Jersey, I'm going 80mph and I never plan to stop until I get to Delaware.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2