IGNORED

Where to order clover seed from and what kind??

I remember seeing some posts bout ordering seed......im lookin to get some clover seed for a few mini plots. Don't wana break the bank on the top dollar Imperial Whitetail Clover i see at tractor supply.  

And, any special kinds/mixes you guys been playing with??  Reds, whites, landino, etc??

Mini plots are for spring gobbler season and I will overseed em again for fall bow, as autumn is really the best time to plant clover......or maybe I shud plant something else in the spring for turkey/fawning, etc n follow it up w clover in the fall??

Edited by Bonefreak

I used imperial this year and I have mixed reviews with the out come. We did have an extremely wet season so I believe that had an impact on the results . I’m hoping to reseed this spring with an additional application of fertilizer and lime.  Going to use some selective herbicide to rid the plot of competition as well. 

Antler King makes a good product used them in the past but wanted to try Imperial . I know  turkeys like chuffa as well as clover . TCook will definitely shed light on this topic when he sees it , Wealth of knowledge and experience 

Reach out to kJ at jersey seed. I buy all my grass seed from him and he does tons of special mixes. He also specializes in wildlife blends. His place is located near New Brunswick. KJ@jerseyseed.com

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

Merit seed in Ohio and welter seed in Iowa. Both have provided excellent food plots seeds at good prices. 

As far as mixes go, we’ve had the best success with a pure white clover mix of Alice, jumbo landino and kopu 2 clovers. 

When we plant “brassicas”, we plant a “lick creek” mix of dwarf Essex rape, purple top turnips and groundhog radishes. 

We also have used cereal grains and will be using them more in the future due to the ease with which they grow. Winter Rye and oats. 

I've planted clovers for 3 seasons and never did they help for Turkey or deer.
They did best in june/July for deer then burnt in aug if in full sun. Best was part shade.

Merit seed - call them and explain your soil and light, etc and they will tell you what is best for your spot.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

Merit seed. Nows the time to frost seed. Clovers fairly inexpensive. I like to mix a few different types. If I could only do one food plot it would be clover. 

Dont use the imperial clover for frost seeding, it contains berseem clover which doesnt frostseed well. You will be throwing your money away. 

Merit has a frosty berseem that is suitable for frost seeding

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

7 minutes ago, megavites said:

tcook,

have you ever used  cereal rye to keep weed growth down early season and then throw and mow some clover or brassicas?

Ive never done it in the spring, however I plant rye with clover every fall. Rye in the fall gives you a weed free plot in the spring. 

20160603_091238_zpszr4oh7bx.jpg

20160603_091144_zpsusrg2was.jpg

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com