IGNORED

Zone 5 Question

LanceinNJ

I spend a lot of weekends in Sussex Co in my GF’s summer getaway. I was looking at the tax map and noticed some pretty big chunks of land that said were owned by NJ DEP. How would I go about finding if these are huntable. I’d love to do some Zone 5 Turkey hunting this spring. 

1 minute ago, Lanceinpa said:

I spend a lot of weekends in Sussex Co in my GF’s summer getaway. I was looking at the tax map and noticed some pretty big chunks of land that said were owned by NJ DEP. How would I go about finding if these are huntable. I’d love to do some Zone 5 Turkey hunting this spring. 

Virtually all WMAs are fully open to hunting.  I can think of one small WMA that is just a pond you can fish which is not huntable, but that's in a different county.  

Here's a NJ link to our WMAs:  https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/wmaland.htm

We also have State Parks and State Forests, both of which have hunting, but not always or they have certain areas closed as does Stokes SF.  Then we also share with PA the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area that I believe is fully open for spring turkey hunting.  But zone 5 turkey has Kittatinny Valley State Park and the Paulinskill WMA listed as the only public lands.  Zones around Z5 have a lot more public lands if those two sites don't pan out for you in your scouting tour.  

Great Question! I do some some hunting down by Tuckahoe WMA and large piece of land was just purchased by NJ. It is adjacent to WMA land, but the old posted signs are still up.  I am going to check with the local ranger to see if hunting is allowed. 

• 3 weeks later...