IGNORED

Butchers getting Expensive

Buck154

9 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

you

10 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

In the taxidermy world you are a fool for not taking a deposit.

Over the years me included I as the client was the fool. Jenelli,mustica,Fairfield and the guy by space farms to name a few.You Jay are a stand up guy!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 minutes ago, Ryanm said:

I used game butchers on route 31 when I shot a buck late and didn’t know what to do in that scenario with my butcher. Now I know field dress and ice it down and he’ll take it the next morning. Game butchers on 31 charged me $135 for boneless basic cuts vacuum sealed. Ended up with bone in ham steaks that looked like someone threw it on a barn floor covered in a ton of deer hair. And also ran me $35 for a cape. His prices were steep and I was very disappointed. 

I average $105-$110 a deer getting about 3 specialities off a deer. I prefer basic cuts because we eat venison 4-5 days a week at my house.

Never used them.Just thought trusted they were  good.Thanks for the heads up Ryam,word of mouth is unpreventable. George 2004 boat,wish he would return, best ever!!!!!!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

The cost of everything rolls down hill. When big packager a is charging $10 a lb, big packager B follows suit. When star pitcher A makes 15 million a year, star pitcher B follows suit. Its not hard to figure out where high prices come from. I butcher my own so I can attempt to pay packager A . I won't support star pitcher A if I can help it. Its all nuts

I do agree that butchers are getting expensive and majority of that cost is for specialty cuts and adding pork to sausage. I tried the do it yourself, used to wait till we had a half a dozen hanging than everyone get together and make a day butchering them up at my place. Well less and less people started showing up which meant me and my kids were stuck butchering, packaging, cleaning up, and discarding the scraps. Than we tried putting our deer together and getting it professionally done but this guy didn't pay for his and that guy thought he should have had more meat etc. I kill the deer, gut it, drop it off to the butcher, tell him what I want, pay for it and that's it. Very happy with my butcher and putting the money out for what I want 

Im with hammer.   Including skinning I can do basic cuts and burger in about 1.5 hours.  I skin quarter and put in fridge..  I fo one quarter a night after 4 days sitting..  I do right in my kitchen.   Good boning knife and filler knife is all that's needed..  grinder and I also have a slicer..  I can do jerkry with dehydrator and sausage...  I'm getting a smoker and will learn other specialty items..   I've said it before I'll show any one that wants to learn im in Tom's river...  

This was a ham and shoulder buck 154 gave to me for a friend.  Granted they were from a 150 lb deer but it's not hard took me about 20 min from start to finish

Screenshot_20190218-164200_Message+.jpg

4 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Im with hammer.   Including skinning I can do basic cuts and burger in about 1.5 hours.  I skin quarter and put in fridge..  I fo one quarter a night after 4 days sitting..  I do right in my kitchen.   Good boning knife and filler knife is all that's needed..  grinder and I also have a slicer..  I can do jerkry with dehydrator and sausage...  I'm getting a smoker and will learn other specialty items..   I've said it before I'll show any one that wants to learn im in Tom's river...  

This was a ham and shoulder buck 154 gave to me for a friend.  Granted they were from a 150 lb deer but it's not hard took me about 20 min from start to finish

Screenshot_20190218-164200_Message+.jpg

Yeah most of the time thats what i do. Usually i will do the deer in on or 2 nights at the kitchen table.  Not hard but time consuming. 

Down here in the south clover meat market 65 basic cut plus you need to buy ziplock bags because the packaging sucks otherwise a lot of meat for 65 dollars.

a&m I think it’s 50 dollars under 60llbs $65 60 to 75lbs and $75 anything over for basic cut and they vacuum seal states and roasts not ground meat but it’s in a plastic tube bag which I have never had any problem with. They do extra to sausage and snack sticks some others as well but I don’t really do that stuff. I did get 15lbs of sausage made this year and will again next year but it wasn’t really that expensive.

thetes one place I use to use edlens prime meats that starts at 100 no matter how small and a mature deer cost around 140 for basic cut. They weren’t always that expensive but over time they became that way.

you just need to shop around