IGNORED

Butchers getting Expensive

Buck154

Every year it is getting to be a lot more to get a deer done. I get one done a year typically and it seams to run $150-$200. Yeah I like to get snack sticks and other stuff done out of it but I see a lot of butchers are charging extra for cape out $20-$35 which is BS cause they need to skin it down any ways to get the neck meat. They do NOT cape it out. Cape it out means to skin the face out. Now they have a big deer charge where it didn't matter if it was a 70 lbs or 200 lbs before. I don't mind paying but it seams to be getting out of hand. Looks like next year it will be back to doing all of them myself.  :rant: Rant over  

It's all the specialty work that makes it expensive. Basic butchering is around $80-90. My suggestion is doing jerky, sausages, etc  yourself. II will save you some money if you process a few deer a year. If you only do one then the cost of equipment would require a long time to pay back. 

I agree . 

A lot of the extra money is in the specialty stuff .

stuff over 5 bucks a pound made with your meat is $$$.

can buy it made in supermarket for less, and there your actually buying the meat .

last year Tracey and I bought a bunch of pork butts on sale to make venison bratwursts and  sausage .

decided to try making other totally pork stuff while had the grinder out.

while good made with venison , stuff made entirely of pork has 5 times the flavor .

so seems little foolish to make some things with  venison I used to .

Now having a chamber sealer will-prob do all of my own again .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I guess the extra charge to cape the deer is because they have to be careful about not ruining the hide for a mount. The deer is also caped differently for a mount. When they are just skinning for butchering they don’t have to worry about messing up the cape with their knife.  I’m not saying getting a deer butchered isn’t expensive but when I do one myself all the way down to grinding and vacuum sealing everything I can appreciate what a pay a butcher when he does it for me. It can be very time consuming. 

Aim Small Miss Small..........No such thing as a bad day spent hunting.

1 minute ago, Buck154 said:

I do to but in the warm early season its nice to drop off and get it done quick. Warm weather sucks. But I do have a friend that has a walk in cooler which helps big time then. 

I'll butcher 1 or 2 deer a year but I have to wait until the temps are down. The early season deer go to the butcher. 

3 minutes ago, Kilbo said:

I guess the extra charge to cape the deer is because they have to be careful about not ruining the hide for a mount. The deer is also caped differently for a mount. When they are just skinning for butchering they don’t have to worry about messing up the cape with their knife.  I’m not saying getting a deer butchered isn’t expensive but when I do one myself all the way down to grinding and vacuum sealing everything I can appreciate what a pay a butcher when he does it for me. It can be very time consuming. 

Very little difference skinning it down either way. I have done taxidermy for awhile and butchered my own deer. Yes lot of time but it is getting very expensive. For what it cost per pound for your meat is a lot.

I got 3 butchered this year pepperoni hot dogs and snack sticks i paid 145 each. The other 4 i shot i did myself got ground steaks straps roast stew and made sausage. Its not hard but takes time. I messed with a few different recipes this year and found which one i liked. My grinder and vac sealer got a good work out and kids had fun helping me process the deer

Theres more fun hunting with the handicap of a bow than the surness of a gun!The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind!

There are a lot of expenses and time involved behind the scenes that most people aren't aware of. And the risk of getting lyme disease. And a lot of aggravation and time wasted waiting for guys to show up. If you are paying someone to butcher your deer for you, he is worth every penny.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Basic cut is still worth the money. If you are not set up properly to do it yourself its money well spent.

What do you really need ?

a boning knife , a cutting board , a small grinder and some wrapping paper ?

basic cuts a deer takes an hour .

done , wrapped and put away .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/