Rusty

How was your year? - Deer Hunting

How was your deer season?

Include PICTURES please.  :D

I had a fun year, I got to hunt with a bunch of friends and family and watch a few people take some nice deer.  The highlight of the year was sitting with our son when he shot a nice double that included this 5.5 year old buck.  LPJR and I had seen this same buck the year before, which made it additionally cool.  

10:29 double .jpeg

black and white.jpeg

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 20

Nice Buck!

I shot one buck and three does.  I don't hunt much anymore.  Losing interest / Gaining (Re-gaining) interest in photography).  Every year I threaten that this will be my last year.  Maybe this is the year..........

• Like 8

I had a good season I started seeing the buck I was after in early September in the pasture first picture. And on October 13 I shot him with my bow. After I hunted two bucks and the one I was after I passed when it came in because a bigger buck showed up. And I never saw either again. But had a fun season trying to kill the bigger one and seeing lots of bucks. 

IMG_8257.JPG

IMG_8418.JPG

• Like 14

I had a good year again. Killed all but two deer with my crossbow. I like to use all my equipment to harvest. I killed with bow, M/L, Shotgun Buckshot. I didn't get one with my slug gun this year. 

• Like 8

I had an awesome year! I ended up with 5 buck and 4 does between NJ and Delaware. Had a great time with friends hunting this season. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Mixbaghunter said:

more important was my sons first doe and help a new hunter get his first deer.

Very cool, that's what it's all about MixBag.  :up::up:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

While I shot two good bucks in the bow and permit season . It happened to quick .

was more like an execution than hunting . Actually took more hunts to shoot my EAB doe than both bucks .

my 10 days in Illinois  was great finally hunting and getting away from the daily grind here .

late season sucked as I was torn from day to day to let a few very good bucks go here or pass them .

decided if I could shoot them with the longbow I would .

passed them a few days at under 7 yards knowing I could have easily taken them .

now I know I have a few good ones around for this fall .

need to look for some new properties to learn as the freshness brings hunting back .

have been hunting my farms so long ,that any deer on them I want has become too easy .

.time to change it up r

Edited by hammer4reel
  • Like 10

Killed 3, one with a crossbow, 2 with a rifle in NY, 1 was a buck. I may have put in 9 days total, but I really only do early morning & late afternoon sits, and 4 of those days I was hunting with friends who do their version of quality deer management ( no does and only bucks with a spread outside of their ears).  I could have killed more, but I'm too busy hunting with my dog, and I passed a whole bunch up. 3 is my limit these days anyway, anything above that and I'm donating to neighbors & co-workers, and I'm tired of all that extra work.

I'm going to Texas this summer, I'm more excited about that than hunting locally. Axis deer is the best deer-style meat I've ever had, even better than moose or caribou.

• Like 10

Although I shot & lost a big buck I still had a good season. Put 3 does in my freezer. My newest son was born October 25th and yet I was still able to get roughly 15 days in the stand from that day until the week of Thanksgiving. Saw a bunch of really nice bucks just never close enough for a good shot. More importantly I learned a lot about the property I’m hunting and how the deer are using their trails in/out for bedding and feeding. Next season should be a great one. 

• Like 8

2 decent bucks and (9 does management hunt). That was more does than I have shot in the last 10 years.  

• Like 10

Only does for me this year, aquired a new property to hunt this year and spent a lot of time hunting one of the biggest and most elusive bucks I have ever hunted. From the first sighting I decided it was him or nothing, and it ended up being nothing LOL. During this chase I regularly saw two buck that in the past I would have arrowed without a doubt( two 120”ers). Had them in range multiple times but the one I was after often showed shortly after seeing them. Truley a year of ups, downs, high anticipation and frustration. But I loved every minute of it. With my son going to college this fall I will be focused on tagging this guy. For the last 8 years it’s been about letting my son and his friends get the shots and enjoy hunting every different species we could. With him away this fall It’s Dads turn and I am going to be on a complete tare

• Like 10