IGNORED

Ar15 legal for coyote?

Sussexslayer

13 minutes ago, aceswild said:

No, bow, shot gun, muzzleloader, or air rifle only

(Correction: This is correct only if hunting under general small game laws - but not if you have the special predator permit). YES! You can use the bad, mean-old AR-15 to hunt coyotes in NJ with the special predator season permit. Just don't tell the politicians, once they find out that Fish*Game allows this, I'm positive they'd create a law to prohibit it.

But seriously, any rifle (semi-auto or bolt action - doesn't matter) with a caliber .25 or less is legal, so, yes, AR-15 is perfectly fine and legal - it *is* after all a good hunting rifle for predators. It's not a war machine like some anti-gun people like to portray it as.

See the NJ hunting digest, page 54, the table for "coyote/fox" season:

"Centerfire rifles: From .17 to maximum of .25 caliber with soft point or hollow point bullets and maximum of 80 grains"

BIG CAVEAT! You can only hunt with rifles during daylight hours - you cannot use them at night. The special predator season permit does not allow for that. It's shotgun only at night - can't even use muzzy or bow. Again, see the table on page 54, it explains that, too.

Edited by mazzgolf

3 minutes ago, Daktari said:

yes but only 3 rounds allowed.....check the digest.....

Good point. I believe that's true for legally hunting any game with semi-auto rifles in NJ - can only have 3 in the mag, or 1 in the chamber and 2 in the mag.

Edited by mazzgolf

15 minutes ago, aceswild said:

I edited my original post to explain this - but I'll make a separate post here to avoid confusion. This is actually correct IF hunting under general small game laws. So, there is no AR-15 hunting (or any rifle hunting) of predators in November and December. Starting January, and if you have the special permit, yes, you can.

With the special permit in the special season, you can use any centerfire rifle .25 cal and under with an 80gr maximum bullet weight (must be soft point) for daytime hunting.  You can have mags that hold up to 10 rounds but cannot have more than 3 rounds total  in gun while hunting

Edited by Gobblengrunt

1 hour ago, aceswild said:

Incorrect

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

I edited my original post to explain this - but I'll make a separate post here to avoid confusion. This is actually correct IF hunting under general small game laws. So, there is no AR-15 hunting (or any rifle hunting) of predators in November and December. Starting January, and if you have the special permit, yes, you can.

Correct

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

7 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Thank you that is what i was assuming, I only got 1 when deer hunting, never targeting them specifically