IGNORED

Squirell hunt protest

jerseyhunter

Not surprising, squirrels don't move much late in the season. I sat yesterday afternoon for a few hours, saw one for a brief second, but heard a mess of them around me. Also saw a fox slinking around and hawks circling overhead, so they know they are on someone's potential dinner menu, they are extra cautious when the trees are barren of leaves. Early in the season is the best time to hunt squirrels, I believe a lot have also frozen to death by now.

Also had a deer walk within 20 yards of me, huge bodied, I'm assuming it was a buck who shed his antlers. Nice day to be in the woods.  :D

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

I was there and it was actually fun engaging these idiot's. They were quite most of the time but us non participants that were just there for support, we stood outside the clubhouse the entire time and each time a young hunter came from the woods with his squirrels we would hold them up,high five the hunter, congratulate the hunter and engage him or her in conversation on the actual hunt. There slogan seemed to be shame on you shame on you. That's when the true meaning of what we thought of them exited our mouth and things got loud and the cops stepped in. Was a great day imo. I have a new sense of hatred for these people now,and will show it to them every chance I get 

The link in the OP is wrong - here it is:

https://nypost.com/2019/02/16/new-jerseys-squirrel-hunting-event-marred-by-lack-of-squirrels/

And the article was right!! Where were the squirrels??!! :) I actually shot at one, I can't believe I somehow missed.

Now I really wish I went - they had squirrel meat to try?? I would have liked to taste it and get the recipe. I also would have liked to see the skinning demo - I have a method I use now, but curious of how they demo'ed it. I'm trying to get some squirrel to try a new smoker recipe someone posted here recently. So far I only got one - had my chances at others, just not presenting me a clear shot in range. It really is true they are not active this time of year. If you don't bag one within the first half hour of early shooting time, your odds go way, way down to getting one at all.

BTW: If you read that article, you can tell it all was clearly tongue-in-cheek and they didn't give the protesters any kind of serious attention.

15 hours ago, archer36 said:

I thought Squirrels hibernated in the winter? Lately, those little bast-rds are always out. Driving me crazy. Maybe the mild winters keep them out. Sometimes 5, 6, 7 of them all around the stand. Put out a little corn and see them come. 

No, they don't hibernate. I have a feeder at the bottom of my yard, I like watching them and it keeps the dogs occupied watching them. As late as Christmas I had 8 of them coming out every morning and late afternoon, now there are only 3 coming out; the blond one in the picture is still alive for now.  Occasionally a fox will stalk them, and I see hawks and owls perching on my roof and other rooftops checking them out. Every winter I'll find a carcass or two on the ground, so I believe they freeze and are tossed or drop from their nests. Yes, they do love corn.

45752570_997647277102110_8031685458809323520_o.jpg

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

Squirrels have rights too!   lol.

I'm pretty sure none of the protestors had squirrels in their home in an area where they could not be reached and living there for months.  Neither has any had them in their garage destroying things like a climber and the corner of the garage that had to be rebuilt.  If so, no doubt their opinion of those tree rats would change.