IGNORED

Hunter's Butcher - Scammer? Help?

Larry O'Donnell

Hi all,

Longtime Pennsylvania hunter here, came to NJ and hunted a friend's farm this year for the first time.  Managed to snag 3 does over the course of a long weekend and upon his recommendation took them to Hunter's Butcher in Adelphia N.J. to get processed.  Unfortunately, I didn't read all the bad reviews and horror stories until after my deer were in his freezer and I was back home in Pennsylvania.

I paid $360 dollars for these deer to to processed, had direct email communication with the owner Kitt Schulman about the order.  Then nothing.  My NJ friend was going to pick up the order for me and he got no text or phone call either.   I called him a week or two later, no response.  I figured that he was backlogged with processing from the season and put it out of my mind.  After about 7 weeks I start to get nervous and tried to make contact again.  No dice.

I have been calling, emailing, Facebook Messaging him at his Dog Food Company, etc... No response.

Today I called the Howell Police department and they happened to have a cell phone number for the guy.  They called him and he was apparently "argumentative" and "non-cooperative" with them on the phone.  They suggested that I file a police report with my hometown cops and/or take other legal action.  While he was on the phone he  told the cops he "knew who I was" and my "deer were at the Food Bank".  I reached out to Hunter's Helping the Hungry via Facebook but haven't heard back from them.  I assume that was the organization he was talking about because he used to link it on his website.

His website is now shut down.  His business is listed as permanently closed.  He is not returning any communication I send to him. 

I really don't want this to get ugly, but that venison represents over a lot of damn money considering the out of state licenses I bought, modifications to my firearms, the $360 processing fees and time I took off of work.

Can anyone offer any advice?  Has anyone been in this kind of scenario with this guy before?  I'm really not sure what to do next and am really really frustrated.  Is the "Food Bank" nonsense worth pursuing?

Thanks in advance.

Looks like you have a problem that will not have any chance of a good solution. It's a shame but it happens. Pressing charges will take more of your time and do you really think the Police are concerned about your $360? You can sue him in small claims court. Once again more time and money on your part. Even if you win and his business is "closed", it's going to be hell trying to collect. 

Edited by archer36

That sucks man! I wouldn’t bother with the food bank, they won’t know which ones were yours. You could try suing the guy but I’m guessing he’s filed bankruptcy and you’re lawyer fees would add up. I really don’t know what to tell ya. Half of me says cut your losses the other half says go for the jugular just to make an example of him. Good luck.

I should be working ... there's always tomorrow

@Toxo that was the way his business was set up.  You drop off the deer in his freezer and fill out a tag.   Then you go on the website, reference the tag number, place your order for cuts and pay through a web store (shopify).  There wasn't an option not to pay. Lesson learned I guess, but this still sucks. I contacted the web store and they recommended I put a charge back on my card and indicated that I should have no problem getting the $$ back, but this scenario just blows.

2 minutes ago, Larry O'Donnell said:

@Toxo that was the way his business was set up.  You drop off the deer in his freezer and fill out a tag.   Then you go on the website, reference the tag number, place your order for cuts and pay through a web store (shopify).  There wasn't an option not to pay. Lesson learned I guess, but this still sucks. I contacted the web store and they recommended I put a charge back on my card and indicated that I should have no problem getting the $$ back, but this scenario just blows.

I used this guy several times and never paid through any web site. I paid when I picked up my meat,.

Do you have a receipt for the $360? If you do I think the best way to go is your small claims court.

Edited by Lunatic