IGNORED

School me on an AR/ Knee deep into build

Greg

Wanting to get something for coyotes. Thinking would like an ar platform in 5.56.  Will probably not be used for much more than coyotes or an occasional trip to the range.

How much better off would I be building up a rifle over buying say an m&p 15 sport? I'm not looking to build up a top of the line rig, but would plan to buy stuff piece at a time over the summer.

If building is the preferred route, where is a good place to go learn? I can strip an ar, not so sure on what gas system with what barrel with what hand guards kinda stuff.

Edited by Greg

I have two ARs, an AR-15 and an AR-10.  I have done nothing to add to the platform with the exception of getting scopes for both guns and adding a strap rivet to mount my Harris bi-pods.  I wasn't interested in creating a "platform".  I wanted a semi-automatic rifle to hunt with.

If you get an AR-15, I would recommend the Ruger line:  https://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/specSheets/8502.html

That is the Ruger "complaint" AR-15 for NJ.  Meets NJ laws and can be legally sold/possessed in the state.  I have this exact model, and it's a tack driver.  Probably one of my best shooting rifles.

.223 is more powerful than 5.56, so you'll probably want to shoot .223.  You can find the ammo anywhere.  Find the ammo your gun wants to eat and buy a lot of it.

I replaced the metal magazine that came with the gun with these, and I love them: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319119898/magpul-pmag-m3-magazine-ar-15-223-remington-556x45mm-300-aac-blackout

I also bought a Savage .223 bolt action from another member here.  Got a fantastic deal on it, and it too is a tack driver.  I bought this gun in anticipation that Murphy and his ilk will attempt to ban all ARs in the state.  My AR is my go-to predator hunting rifle, and I wanted to have a spare ready in case Buckwheet outlawed ARs.  It's a fantastic gun with its own strengths.  I like having a semi-auto to hunt yotes because I can make a quick follow-up shot if need be.  The way an AR is designed, the recoil is well-managed, which means you have a better opportunity to make a follow up.  The bolt action, obviously, makes that harder.  But they are both .223's, so the same bucket of ammo works for both guns.

So, IMHO, unless you're really into building an AR platform, don't.  They are great semi-automatic rifles that have a place.  I've seen AR builds that are over the top and completely unusable.  I have a buddy in PA who has an additional 7# of gear decorating the barrel of his AR.  He can barely life the gun level to shoot.  He had to add a hand grip to the front barrel because you couldn't hold it with you hand.  I'm not into that.  I want a rifle I can shoot, take into the woods with me, and that will go "bang" and hit its target every time.  I can barely rest myself up, why would I do that to a perfectly good, naked gun?

But to each his own.

Edited by Haskell_Hunter
I am an idiot.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Thanks for the info. 

An AR  is just one I want to have, and doesn't need to be tacticool. My only need is picatinny rail for a scope.

After basic I pretty much never used one, always had a m249 or the 240b slung around my neck. 

Oh, and a Garand is on my list just because. Have checked out the CMP site a few times over the years.

Cool.  Yeah man get one.  They are fun. 

Check your local stores. Get some prices. 

Then check online. Buds gun shop, grabAGun are good online stores. Just keep in mind if you buy from a different state the store (NJ) won't let you purchase it if not complaint. 

Most stores can get it and do the compliance work for ya.  

Greg,

Get a complete rifle.  You'll save money.  I would get a factory rifle with a bull barrel.

The custom route is expensive and best when you have items in mind based on experience and trigger time. 

Also, semi auto's aren't the preferred firearm when precision is the name of the game.

Spend the money you save on the best scope you can afford.  I would suggest a Night Force.  Not cheap, not expensive: the most bang for the buck.  The most precise "click" money can buy.

I have bought and built. Bought a M&P in 223/556 and built a 300 blk out. Personally, I enjoyed building it. I also don't like the look of the lower range ARs. Not a huge "tacticool" guy but I don't want to own an ugly gun IMO but Building one can actually be cheaper.  Magpul stock/trigger kit, a PSA lower, a BCG, charging handle and a decent complete upper could definitely be in the $500ish ball park. YouTube is going to be your best friend if you go the build route. A ton of videos giving you step by step procedures. There's also a lot of places that have sales pretty regularly. I 300 has about $1500 into it so far. If I paid full price with parts I'd be well over the $2k mark so it's not unrealistic to save a good amount of money. 

12 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

.223 is more powerful than 5.56, so you'll probably want to shoot .223.  You can find the ammo anywhere.  Find the ammo your gun wants to eat and buy a lot of it.

Is this true?  :hmmmer:

I bought a S&W MP .223/5.56 and swapped out the front sight post/gas block and plastic heat guard with a low-profile gas block, removed the rear sight, and installed a longer aluminum heat guard.  Added a red dot from HoloSun.  What started as what I thought was an "ugly" gun was turned into a thing of beauty and fairly cost-effective.

I have quite a few ARs some built and some bought then upgraded. I think an MP15 is a great base to get started. They fit together nicely have ok barrels and trigger. To say you wont want to improve is an understatement. I bet you will become addicted to the thing. Shoot one with a 3lb Timney or a 3.5 Geissele and youll want one. Then a nice upgraded stock and handguard with a bipod etc. The MP will get you going and not break the bank. If you want top notch then build it. My cheapest build was around $2k. My new 308 build will be over that, I have $600 in a barrel alone on that.