Gobblengrunt

Amazing morning

I went out this morning to do one set of calling before the snow hit.  My Mom wanted to go (she loves predator hunting!) so I took her to a pre scouted spot near her house that showed promising sign for coyote.  I set her up on a small ridge that overlooks a series of ridges with the wind in our face.  Within 5 minutes, I call a beautiful red fox to within 15 yards of us.  I was focusing on coyotes so the fox got a pass.  At about the twenty minute mark, I catch a bobcat trying to sneak in.  The cat sneaked back and forth throughout some blow downs then locked on something running up the hill.  A second bobcat came running in and the first one ran right after it.  A minute later a coyote is coming in fast along the same ridge.  I set up for a shot and the coyote ran right into the two bobcats as they exploded into a tree.  The coyote spooked and ran away.  I called for another twenty minutes but the coyote never showed back up.  We watched the two cats in the tree for the twenty minute period before they got down.  No kills but for a predator hunter, calling in a trifecta in one set was amazing especially sharing that experience with another hunter.

• Like 26
  • Winner 7

That is awesome.  Not many get to hunt with mom :cool:

Edited by Live to Hunt

Great morning for sure

Do you ever use actual coyote calls or is it always their prey?

Just now, Lunatic said:

Great morning for sure

Do you ever use actual coyote calls or is it always their prey?

Most coyotes I’ve called in come into coyote talk after 20-30 minutes of prey.  After “prey” sounds, I usually mimic two coyotes excited that have caught and killed something.  If I have a pair that won’t commit, I female challenge bark which almost always bring the real female running in.  When it comes to NJ coyotes, I’ve killed most right at the 35-40 minute mark.  Always create a scenario 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tarhunt said:

Is your mom single? 

I’m sure after 45 years of marriage, my Dad would let my Mom walk,lol!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

Is your mom single? 

Lol .  Hard to find a fine woman that hunts in nj.

Sounds like it was a great morning,gg.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Most coyotes I’ve called in come into coyote talk after 20-30 minutes of prey.  After “prey” sounds, I usually mimic two coyotes excited that have caught and killed something.  If I have a pair that won’t commit, I female challenge bark which almost always bring the real female running in.  When it comes to NJ coyotes, I’ve killed most right at the 35-40 minute mark.  Always create a scenario 

Thank you:up:

28 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Good tip!

Exciting morning for sure!

44 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

When it comes to NJ coyotes, I’ve killed most right at the 35-40 minute mark.

Interesting! I'll try that. I always hear people say 15 minutes, never more than 30, in a single sit. But I can't argue with what you are doing! Next time out, I'll try to sit longer.

1 hour ago, Live to Hunt said:

That is awesome.  Not many get to hunt with mom :cool:

:agree:

Edited by Live to Hunt

Awesome mom!!

U guys r living in some nice area to have all that live action!!

It's just all pine needles, dawg crap, n old people villages down here in the OC!!