IGNORED

Bobcats in nj

I saw this a while ago.   It seems proof that our population is extremely healthy, so healthy in fact that they are being pushed out of state.   What seems really suspect is that the population right across the river is so healthy that it can endure a hunting/trapping season and for some reason NJ can't withstand it so the cats are still endangered.  The estimates are that 200-400 cats live in NJ and have been confirmed in Mercer county as of 2017. 

Edited by stratocaster

I saw this a while ago.   It seems proof that our population is extremely healthy, so healthy in fact that they are being pushed out of state.   What seems really suspect is that the population right across the river is so healthy that it can endure a hunting/trapping season and for some reason NJ can't withstand it so the cats are still endangered.  The estimates are that 200-400 cats live in NJ and have been confirmed in Mercer county as of 2017. 

It’s not population they are concerned with, its genetics. But seeing a NJ reared female wander that far is a great sign for widening NJ’s genetic stock. Genetics right now are all from the Maine cats we brought in decades ago now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

It’s not population they are concerned with, its genetics. But seeing a NJ reared female wander that far is a great sign for widening NJ’s genetic stock. Genetics right now are all from the Maine cats we brought in decades ago now.

Wow didn't know that the state had a transplant program.I  saw  one bobcat Once, with a couple kittens.I wonder if she was one? I didn't have a camera then, the picture is in my mind though,she was beautiful I believe this was around 1974 Blairstown 1 mile hike in off Millbrook Road,a couple hundred yards uphill,east off Rattlesnake Trail.

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 hour ago, hunterbob1 said:

Wow didn't know that the state had a transplant program.I  saw  one bobcat Once, with a couple kittens.I wonder if she was one? I didn't have a camera then, the picture is in my mind though,she was beautiful I believe this was around 1974 Blairstown 1 mile hike in off Millbrook Road,a couple hundred yards uphill,east off Rattlesnake Trail.

They don't, it left on it's own free will. It herd Murphy was running for gov. And decided it was better to swim the Delaware river and cross major highways then stay here. 

All NJ bobcats trace back to early 1970s restocking from Maine. The Division had hoped for better interbreeding between our ME cats and ones living in NY and PA that were not released. But subsequent DNA studies show our cats are interbred and have not expanded their genetics, just their numbers. The area around Blairstown north is called Bobcat Alley for its importance to their population in NJ.