IGNORED

Hand Guns

YurytheRed

For a first handgun, a .22.

Easiest to shoot, cheapest ammo, guns are not terribly expensive and they are more useful for learning than any other caliber, hands down. S&W Victory, Browning Buckmark and Ruger Mark IV are pretty much the de facto leaders in the .22 world, with a strong leaning towards the Ruger.

After that, the sky is pretty much the limit; although I have a tendency to lean towards either a good 38/357 revolver or a striker fired 9mm semi-auto.  For revolvers, you can't go wrong with any of the S&W or Ruger variants. For semi-auto, you can just cheat the whole vetting process and get what was chosen by the military or FBI; and that would be the Sig P320/M17 or Glock 17/19 Gen 5. 

Most importantly what’s your price range. Everyone is give you great feedback, but there is a cost to all of them. 1911s new are substantially more then your standard 9mm polymer frame guns. I would say find were u are comfortable with price.
I just went to a course for the FN 509, it’s built surprisingly well. It’s a stricter fire like the Glocks are, but now a days every company is following the Glock builds.
As for caliber, check out the latest studies on ammonium, the 9mm evolution has greatly progressed which is way many PDs are using and even switching over to it. Like the FBI, which is why the Glock 19 Gen 5 was formed. But remember this, IMO, it’s not the caliber, it’s all about shot placement.
So with this, my go to weapons which are not fancy shiny gun, but function when they need to without failure are.

G19
G45 (new model for 2018)
Springfield XD
S&W revolver 642-1
All the above are priced reasonably within the $500 range.

Please remember everyone’s opinion is going to vary, this is mine and what works for me. But then again I’m also a Mopar guy. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lot's of good info here, I tend to agree wit most of it.

Due to the hassle of the entire permitting process, if finances allow I would recommend getting at least 2 permits.  I would also echo the suggestion of getting one .22, either revolver or pistol, and one larger caliber revolver.

I also like the S&W .357 mag, because as hers stated you can use .38 special for practice but still have the ability to shoot .57 magnum loads.  Also, the heavier frame mitigates felt recoil so have a soft shooting gun especially with lighter loads.

For a 22 you can't go wrong with a S&W revolver, if you do go semi-auto make sure you do your research as some tend to be somewhat ammo dependent.  I went with the Ruger SR-22 and after a few thousand rounds have no regrets.

My first was a 357 Colt Trooper MK. I liked the idea of a wheel gun but in reality, I only shot it a few times.  I carried it in the woods in Pa for a sidearm but other that that, it sat.  Then I bought a Smith Model 39 in 9mm.  This one is fun to shoot.  For home protection I keep my 12 gauge handy.  I don't want to shoot the 357 and have it travel through the wall and kill the old lady next door. Plus there is less aim.  Just point and shoot.

I only own two handguns, that I bought 30 years ago, at the same time.

A Ruger GP100 revolver. As mentioned …. plinking with .38's, and bigger fun with the 357 loads.

A Springfield 1911 45, because every red-blooded American should own one. lol.  And, it's a great load for blasting 2 X 4's in half, up at Cherry Ridge's board cutting competitions. :up:

Have fun.

My first was a 357 mag with a 6 inch barrel. I was so excited I just couldn't wait to shoot it. Fast forward 3 years and now it doesn't even come out of the safe much only to look at the pretty stainless steel and rose wood grip. 

The I bought a 22 magnum revolver. The SW 351 PD. Look it up, it's a sweet little revolver. I still shoot it often to this day . 22 mag is nice. Has a nice punch to it. But not like the higher magnum calibers. But also doesn't feel like a pea shooter like a 22 lr would feel in a heavy revolver .

My go to pistol for the range and home protection is my Glock 42. It's a 380 caliber. It came with a 6 round mag. But I bought the extended 8 round mag. This is great for two reasons. You get 2 more shots. But more importantly it gives you a longer grip. I can shoot this all day. Ammo is cheap. And my God can I hit targets with it. However it does have a break in period and you have to find the right ammo for it. Mine jammed quite a few times when I first got it. Now, it doesn't jam with anything I run through it. I love that little pistol. And don't let people tell you the 380 is for women or that it's not as lethal as a 9mm. That's all bullshit talk. It's kind of like how some guys will say " get a Ford f350 dully man. That's a real mans truck" why? My little v6 pick up works just fine for me.

As has been said, go to a range and see what fits your hand and squeezes nicely. I love  my XD but only have a couple pistols, so not a lot to go by.

Wife wants a new shooter, we will be going to the range, but she is liking the xd mod 2 and a couple sigs both in 9mm.

Shoot at a range that rents guns , get the feel of recoil from different calibers and different action types. All personal preference. I prefer revolvers , pretty fail safe for beginners , no safteies , decockers or chambering issues etc.  I wouldn’t go with big calibers , 38/357 pretty inexpensive and comfortable to shoot.  My first was exactly what I discribed Taurus Tracker 357 with 4” Barrel , 20 years later still a great revolver.