YurytheRed

Hand Guns

I'm likely going to be purchasing a handgun in the near future, my first and as always would like to pick the collective brain of the sites members. So if you had just one choice for a handgun what would be? Given my ignorance I was leaning towards a revolver.   

Do to the pain and cost of getting permits in NJ i would apply for two permits.   The first purchase would be a 22 then what ever center fire you like.   9mm ammo is cheap if you don't reload. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nb6624 said:

.357 S&w. Always plink with 38 and pow with .357

x2

That was my first handgun and I still love shooting it 

Edited by mightyhunter

I have a canned reply to this.  The gun you want to shoot is the best gun you shoot.  Go out to a range that rents pistols and rent them all.  Every single caliber and kind.  You'll realize that you shoot some kinds/brands/caliber guns better than others.  Those are the ones you want to focus on.

The purpose of a pistol is to accurately shoot your target.  Find the one you can do that with.

I went to a range with a friend.  She was 100% for a revolver because a friend said it would be easier to load.  I didn't argue the point, I knew we had to shoot different pistols.  We tried a few revolvers and she could only shoot when the hammer was cocked back.  She didn't have the hand strength to pull the trigger and move the hammer when it was at rest, only cocked.  This meant she probably wouldn't be able to make any follow-up shots, and firing the first bullet was a longer, more complicated process.

I told her to consider semi-automatics.  We found a 9mm Sig that was a fantastic gun for her.  I shoot it a few times and loved it.  That's the gun she got.

So I strongly recommend renting/borrowing as many pistols as possible to find the one that works best in your hand.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, CJ3a said:

Do to the pain and cost of getting permits in NJ i would apply for two permits.   The first purchase would be a 22 then what ever center fire you like.   9mm ammo is cheap if you don't reload. 

I like this reply, a .22 pistol is a must just to shoot cheap and have some fun with

37 minutes ago, Faster said:

I like this reply, a .22 pistol is a must just to shoot cheap and have some fun with

And it helps build muscle memory and make you a more proficient shooter. The low cost of ammo and lack of recoil will have you shooting much longer and more often.

• Agree 1

Im a 1911 fan. My first pistol was a kimber pro raptor ii. I would opt for the aluminum frames now because of weight. 

Two of the ones I like the best, and love shooting, are both S&W in 357 & 22 cal. Nothing wrong with a good wheel gun !

FullSizeRender (1) - Copy.jpg

Edited by Silver Belly62
  • Like 3

I would say this. Don't go the big caliber route. They are not fun to shoot, you can't hit a barn with them, they are expensive to shoot, they are too much for an average home protection gun,  and there is no reason for them. 
Ok, now, I see many big gun fans on here so let me have it:happywave:

As others have mentioned, borrow or rent a few to see what you "enjoy" shooting. Buy that gun. Use your 2nd permit to buy what you like. My 2 cents

• Agree 1

Basically what Lunatic said.

For home protection I have 9mm & .45 which are fun to shoot but expensive.

For plinking I have a .22 Sig Sauer 1911-22 which is perfect.

And as electric10162 said. Find a range and go try out a few.... and do get a 2nd permit while you're at it.

• Like 1

I would also suggest taking a handgun coarse...its not just about safety, but proper shooting  technique. It might assist you in making a decision which would be best for you.

• Agree 1

The 10mm is my goto caliber. And you can get it in a wheel gun. Good caliber for home or big woods.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk