IGNORED

Question for those that kill mature bucks

Herd Buck

2 hours ago, archer36 said:

I don't profess to be an expert but here are my observations and facts:

Mature deer comprise a very small small percent of bucks.

Mature deer develop a routine in their first few years that keeps them safe. If they didn't, they would get killed.

Mature deer are most vulnerable right at the beginning of the season, the pre-rut, and immediately after the rut.

There will be a mature deer in almost every spot but they are rare.

I hunt AS MUCH as possible. "Experts" may say this is the wrong strategy. At the same time, these guys are checking their cameras and carrying bait into their hunting areas as much as I HUNT. So what is more intrusive?

That's my 2 cents. Hunt as much as you can and good things will happen. Thinking you are going to kill a "mature" buck, which is a rare animal in NJ, by hunting a half dozen times is doubtful. 

Oh maybe the most important thing, LUCK!

Just now, archer36 said:

Oh maybe the most important thing, LUCK!

You beat me to it Archer. I am blessed that I have a large track of land that I hunt right out of my back door.  I know by the use of trail cameras that I had 6-8 mature bucks at my blind throughout the year. Youth bow day my son shoot a solid 10 that was not recovered.  Youth gun day he harvested a mature 9.  On several different occasions we had different mature bucks in front of us that did not present a shot.  Now when I was hunting alone I only had one opportunity to take a mature buck.  Saw countless smaller bucks.  So in my opinion you need a little luck on your side to get it done. 

17 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

You beat me to it Archer. I am blessed that I have a large track of land that I hunt right out of my back door.  I know by the use of trail cameras that I had 6-8 mature bucks at my blind throughout the year. Youth bow day my son shoot a solid 10 that was not recovered.  Youth gun day he harvested a mature 9.  On several different occasions we had different mature bucks in front of us that did not present a shot.  Now when I was hunting alone I only had one opportunity to take a mature buck.  Saw countless smaller bucks.  So in my opinion you need a little luck on your side to get it done. 

One of my favorite sayings. the Bucks are where they FIND YOU!

In the last 12 or so years here in NJ I only saw 2 bucks that I would consider to be mature. On the other hand I have seen a ton of younger bucks with great racks that had the trophy potential but were killed way to soon and, I can't tell you how many times I heard "Well if I didn't shoot him someone else would of." [emoji20]
N.J mentality

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, tcook8296 said:

This is Nj,  a lot of hunters cant pass a 2.5. 

For a 4.5 in Nj, it wont happen for most guys. 

3.5 for Nj is a good deer for Nj. 

To hold out for a 4.5 or older in Nj, be prepared for many deerless seasons. 

The midwest a 4.5 or older is what I would consider mature 

You misunderstood what I said. I did not mean I hold out for a 4.5 what I was trying to get across is thats what I consider MATURE. I have taken many 3.5 deer in NJ but have also taken my share of 4.5 WITHOUT GOING OUT OF STATE. They are here if you are on the right property and not pressured.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

13 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

The people shooting mature bucks consistantly have 2 key components:
1: a location that mature bucks utilize
2: time off of work to hunt when conditions are right

You cant kill what isnt there.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

BINGO!

Paul M. Ross

REALTOR

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

PAUL THE PAINTER

INTERIOR PAINTING

HUNTERDON/WARREN COUNTIES

908-943-8842

Ill see 2-5 true mature bucks a year.  Not just a big 8pt plus but an older 4.5 year old plus buck.  I don't have a lot of deer in the 1000’s of acres i hunt but can always find mature bucks with usually some history behind all.  I usually see these bucks (my target bucks) on the very first sit where i will either kill them or never see them again (except on camera, lol!).  I will not actually sit a stand and hunt a buck until im sure i will kill him.  If it doesnt work out that day or most likely within 3 days, i always feel that they have figured something is wrong and thier pattern changes.  Mature bucks only make a mistake ONCE!  My area is generally void of hunters and void of deer in most places.  Constant scouting ables me to locate or keep tabs on these bucks until i feel im able to kill them.  Some bucks are unhuntable by the area in which they bed and travel due to thermals.  Location is key as is approach and wind.  You usually get one chance at an old deer.  I have NEVER killed a mature buck out of the same stand i already killed one in.  Every mature buck ive hunted has been unique in habits and location.  Btw, a true 4.5 year old deer doesnt always have the biggest rack.  Ive killed 2.5 year old P&Y bucks as 7 y/o plus deer that had 110” racks.

Edited by Gobblengrunt

14 hours ago, Herd Buck said:

How often do you see a mature buck when hunting is it every sit, most sits, infrequently except for the rut? I’m curious I’ve killed a few good bucks 3.5 + yrs old but don’t see mature deer consistently. Am I not hunting the right spots or is seeing a mature buck once or twice a season about right?

1. How long have you been a hunter?

2. Have you ever hunted any other state except NJ?

The answers to those questions reveal a lot on your expectations as a hunter in general and mature buck hunter in particular. Especially so if your only hunting  experience is in NJ. 

Yes I hunt NY also for 10+ years, I’ve also hunted MD but that is private managed farms so not what I consider normal for me hunting conditions. 

There are guys that kill mature deer consistently in NJ so it can be done... I’m only able to hunt 6-8 times a season given the small kids and wife obligations so looking for tips or advice to maximize those hunts. 

Edited by Herd Buck

3 hours ago, Grassmans said:

Private land and location

LOTS of very good bucks are taken on public land.

Last week a friend got a 150" buck on camera a few days in a row in one of the highest used WMA in the state.

just need to get in off the beaten paths

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

13 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

LOTS of very good bucks are taken on public land.

Last week a friend got a 150" buck on camera a few days in a row in one of the highest used WMA in the state.

just need to get in off the beaten paths

True, but you know darn well its all relative to pressure.  Guys who have the privilege to hunt private farms have a far better shot at hunting and killing a good one in this state. Deer just don't tolerate guys marching through the woods dragging their ladderstand and bag of corn til they find their magic spot. I'm willing to bet that deer your talking about was no where near that spot during the height of the hunting season. 

5 minutes ago, midwestxpress said:

True, but you know darn well its all relative to pressure.  Guys who have the privilege to hunt private farms have a far better shot at hunting and killing a good one in this state. Deer just don't tolerate guys marching through the woods dragging their ladderstand and bag of corn til they find their magic spot. I'm willing to bet that deer your talking about was no where near that spot during the height of the hunting season. 

MY avatar buck was killed on a HIGHLY trafficked public piece.

And I hunted him there 3 seasons before getting him

so they def can be there, just staying in a very tight core area .

LOTS of  GIANT bucks in the record books here in NJ came off public pieces.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

So location is key would you say once you find a spot that produces a big buck you hunt that spot year after year or as someone posted since a mature deer is on their own pattern which has let them live 4 years or more you have to constantly search for new spots? 

From what I've noticed from my repeat customers, the same guys shoot giants every year. And they also shoot them the same times of the year (big bucks are there for that time of the year for a reason, usually has to do with cover, feed, trave funnels, and does.). Once they kill a big one another big one moves in. Once you have a honey hole you will have opportunities until the layout of the land/habitat changes.

I know a lot of hunters. I hear alot of gossip. You cant believe everything, but a good amount of giant bucks posted on Facebook every year are shady. These hunters shoot bucks year after year and post pics, but I have customers that show me those same deer on trailcam from several towns away from where they claim to be shot. Half are trespassed on areas not open to hunting. Etc.
Dont feel left out. A large amount of hunters shooting nice bucks consistantly have backyard honeyholes..shooting "pets" in rich peoples backyards. Not all, but a good amount.
I hunted zone 11 my whole life and never killed a good buck.
Got a zone 8 spot for 1 season and killed a p&y. Got a One 10 spot and killed another p&y.
I use the same hunting style in all my spots but my zone 11 spots dont produce mature bucks. Too much land is hunted. No sanctuary around. Nothing you can do about that except shoot what's there or look for a new area to hunt. Sometimes a few miles down the road will make all the difference.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com