IGNORED

Large Surviving American Chestnut

13 hours ago, Mink said:

Nice find Dan!

For those who don't know the story of the American Chestnut !

Wow!!  Awesome videos!!  I knew the tree was very important to this country, but I was unaware how important!!!  and "in grained" it was to our early society!!  Cool stories from those old Appalachian people!!  Simply amazing!!  400 million year old species completely gone in 40-50 yrs because of an introduced invasive blight.  The stupidity to bring it over from Asia!! Sad. 

Seems like there is some hope from watching the top video .....the transgenic Darling 311 may be the answer to restoring this beautiful tree. I now even may join the American Chestnut Foundation!!  I like his strategy of starting a restoration with a "foci" approach and utilize areas that have been cleared for mining as key sites to begin restoration & then they can spread from there......i theorized this "foci" strategy could be implemented with pheasants on our many closed landfills if we could ever get a trap and transfer program going again. 

On 2/9/2019 at 1:39 PM, gillripper said:

Plant some seeds from this tree!!!

That would be a great idea, unfortunately it takes "two" flowering chestnut trees to pollinate each other in order to produce viable nuts . A single tree can still have the burrs as shown in the picture but usually the burrs are empty . We can take pollen from this tree however and pollinate another large survivor elsewhere .

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting