Bowhunter2004

Anyone have arthroscopic surgery for torn meniscus?

I had some shoulder issues where my doctor told me to try to help it with PT and exercising it. I watched some videos on You Tube and got into a regimen of stretches and some isometrics. It felt really good after a few weeks and then I tried to draw my 55 lb bow back and immediately went back to square one. I told the doc what happened and he said that I didn't give it  enough time trying too much too soon. He told me I have to build up strength using light to heavy dumbells as I go   So we are back at it.  

One thing I found out over the years is that if you visit a doctor who is tied into a for profit hospital you are more than likely going to have surgery whether you really need it or not.

7 hours ago, _X7 said:

I had some shoulder issues where my doctor told me to try to help it with PT and exercising it. I watched some videos on You Tube and got into a regimen of stretches and some isometrics. It felt really good after a few weeks and then I tried to draw my 55 lb bow back and immediately went back to square one. I told the doc what happened and he said that I didn't give it  enough time trying too much too soon. He told me I have to build up strength using light to heavy dumbells as I go   So we are back at it.  

One thing I found out over the years is that if you visit a doctor who is tied into a for profit hospital you are more than likely going to have surgery whether you really need it or not.

Ive been doing the same thing working my knee at home instead of PT. It’s been working, but all of a sudden I’m limping again with pain the past two days . I don’t feel like I over did it maybe the weather is causing inflammation. I have until the 22nd to decide on surgery or not. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, _X7 said:

I had shoulder surgery and it was a tough road.  Its better and have no pain.  Had a great surgeon but, I would avoid shoulder surgery at all costs.  Get a crossbow its not worth it. As long as you can get out and hunt that's all that counts. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bowhunter2004 said:

Ive been doing the same thing working my knee at home instead of PT. It’s been working, but all of a sudden I’m limping again with pain the past two days . I don’t feel like I over did it maybe the weather is causing inflammation. I have until the 22nd to decide on surgery or not. 

You may have a flap of torn meniscus moving around in the joint.  When it is in one position all is fine.  When it moves to a bad spot you get swelling and pain.   That is what was happening to me.   

7 hours ago, _X7 said:

Gradual.  Do your PT then draw 15 pounds half way for a week.  The next week draw it all way.  The next week draw 25 pound half way, etc., etc.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Live to Hunt said:

I had shoulder surgery and it was a tough road.  Its better and have no pain.  Had a great surgeon but, I would avoid shoulder surgery at all costs.  Get a crossbow its not worth it. As long as you can get out and hunt that's all that counts. 

Yep, shoulder is the worse. I have a problem for years but refuse to get it done. I am good enough to play hockey then I am good enough. Luckily its my right shoulder and I play lefty so my right hand is only used for control, not power.  The only thing I really can't do is to throw anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Live to Hunt said:

Yes, no choice to get a crossbow. Thankfully, a friend hooked me up with an older Horton. To be honest though I'd rather hunt with a compound. Although they call it archery I just have a hard time accepting it as such. I realize I have to do what I have to do to stay in the game.

44 minutes ago, _X7 said:

Yes, no choice to get a crossbow. Thankfully, a friend hooked me up with an older Horton. To be honest though I'd rather hunt with a compound. Although they call it archery I just have a hard time accepting it as such. I realize I have to do what I have to do to stay in the game.

They do archery in Olympics, we hunt. :happywave:
Enjoy it.

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

You may have a flap of torn meniscus moving around in the joint.  When it is in one position all is fine.  When it moves to a bad spot you get swelling and pain.   That is what was happening to me.   

Sounds like exactly whats going on with me. Ill give it more time and ice. I was doing well last week, I'm trying to avoid this surgery. I'm heading to Illinois shed hunting,and to do some chores 1st week of April. If I can get this knee back to where it was last week I should be fine for that trip.

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

They do archery in Olympics, we hunt. :happywave:
Enjoy it.

Yes its hunting, but its not the same. Close, but not quite might be a better way to put it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, _X7 said:

Yes its hunting, but its not the same. Close, but not quite might be a better way to put it.

55 lbs is heavy.  You can kill deer all day long with a smooth pulling 35# recurve.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nomad said:

55 lbs is heavy.  You can kill deer all day long with a smooth pulling 35# recurve.

That is right where I started. Well, that was my second bow. I started with a green fiberglass straight bow...poundage unknown, lol.

1 hour ago, _X7 said:

I started with a green fiberglass straight bow...poundage unknown, lol.

I have it, 45# Ben Pearson, green, all glass.  

See, you have come full circle.  It was the only bow you ever needed.  Could have saved a little money.;)

• Like 1

Just now, Nomad said:

I have it, 45# Ben Pearson, green, all glass.  

See, you have come full circle.  It was the only bow you ever needed.  Could have saved a little money.;)

A little! :bonk: