Bowhunter2004

Anyone have arthroscopic surgery for torn meniscus?

I’m scheduled for February 22nd,  Ive been told that there isn’t much to it, but just wondering if anyone had it done and what to expect. I was a carpet installer for 14 years when I was a kid, I tore the meniscus way back then and just let it heal, but I  tore it again pretty bad a week before Christmas and it just isn’t getting better this time. Dr said it’s a 10 minute procedure, Im hoping for a quick recovery, I have a lot to do end of next month. 

I had 70% of mine removed.  How bad is it right now?

Edited by Nomad

Had the only butcher available do it 40 years ago and it was terrible. Had a very good surgeon repeat 20 years ago and it was nothing, back to light work and walking fine 3 days later.  I also had both knees replaced 4 years ago at the same time and didn't think that was to bad either.

• Like 1

I had mine repaired in September, I think it was a Tuesday, I was hunting on the weekend and back in the gym the next week.  Nothing to it, just give yourself 2-3 days of ice and rest.

• Like 1

The surgical technology is awesome. You will be walking normal in 24 to 48 HRS. Good luck and have a smooth recovery. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

I had 70% of mine removed.  How bad is it right now?

I think he said 25% medial tear. Very little arthritis in the knee, Dr said the knee bones look very good.  It’s actually feeling a little bit better today, but the last few years I am unable to squat or kneel with the right leg. I’m sick of it. I’m really hoping to get pain free mobility and flexibility back.  I hope that’s not asking for to much. If that’s unrealistic, I’m better off not having the procedure. 

Was supposed to have mine done seven years ago. While waiting to go in for surgery the nurse came in and said the doctor is ill and the surgery wouldn't take place today. Hasn't bothered me since.

Edited by ithaca10
  • Like 3

I had 50% removed in 2007 after I tore it stepping off a boat onto a dock carrying a heavy duffle bag of gear.  It got swollen up and doc said he could cut some of the tear out.  Went through with it and I was cutting the grass the day after the surgery with a walk behind mower, so its no big deal.  I probably would give a few days rest than what I did though, cuz the swelling lasted a few days.  The doc did say that later in life I would be more apt for arthritis and/or knee replacement due to missing some cartilage in there.  Its been no problems since.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

7 times between both knees. Easy and virtually no pain with the later surgeries. The ones from when I was a kid were bad. Things have changed a lot in 30-40 years. You’ll be glad you did it. 

• Like 1

If you injured it, even without surgery, you need to do P.T. on it to make it stronger and stretch it out etc.  If it feels better try to strengthen and stretch it out very gradually.  

Unless it is really bothering you, I would wait. Probably will never be perfect again even with surgery.

Just my two cents, but I would make surgery a last resort.

Read Ithaca10's post above. lol

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

I had both knees done at different time over the years and both surgeries were really easy and I was on my feet and back to work in less than a week,  it took about 1 month to get back to FULL NORMAL.

DO NOT MISS ANY PT AFTER SURGERY!!!
Oh and thanks to this surgery you will be better at forecasting barometric pressure drops better than any meteorologist (when rain or snow is coming).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

had four knee surgeries two miniscus tears one on each knee  just follow what doctor says  don't push things to fast learn difference between good pain and bad pain and you should be fine.. good luck...

The key is the therapy afterwards.Dont baby itv do all the excercises at home and make it hurt to get your full range of motion back