IGNORED

Coyotes and turkey vultures beat me to it

supr78nova

13 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

well it's not going to waste - all you can do is learn from the shot and move on.   Wasn't much more you could do last night, you made the right call.   

:agree:

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

9 minutes ago, cewoz560 said:

Wow the condition of that...you would think it was in the woods a couple of days... If you didn't follow your blood trail to it I would say this was somebody else's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That was my first thought also. Looks a week.old.

UPDATE-

I went to the range and shot the crossbow with the Spitfire practice head and it was right on. I switched to the NAP Spitfire broadheads I was hunting with and a few of the shots were off by as much as 8 inches or more from the POA. I think one or more of the three blades was opening prematurely and causing erratic flight. I saw one of the arrows corkscrew on it's way to the target.

I did a bit of internet research and it seems that the raised bump in the thin metal shim next to the blade becomes flattened slightly when the blades are deployed or if you swing the blades out to check if they are bent. If the broadheads are new out of the box you won't have any issues with early blade opening, but if you swing the blade out more than about 5 times the shim loses some tension and the blades can open prematurely.

The solution is either to get replacement shims from NAP and rebuild the head or to band the blades closed with 3/16" or 1/4" diameter elastic dental bands like they use for kids braces. (dental floss or thread also works from what I've read)

I ordered a pack of 3/16 bands off Amazon that should solve my accuracy woes and hopefully won't have to deal with hungry coyotes again any time soon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk