Haskell_Hunter

Maine Moose Tag Lottery is OPEN

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

Probably one of the cheapest quality "big game" hunts that you can go on.  Sure, the license is about 600 total , but then you can just drive up there with a friend or two and hunt.   Kill, the moose and bring it back.

Sure, there are some additional costs in there also, but still not too bad, if you don't get a guide, butcher it yourself, and just put the rack on a plaque.

Someone else might have a chance if you and your family don't put in :headscratch:. We don't have a chance 

I don't even put in for there just NH for points. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Ralphie9n said:

I have been lucky enough to have drawn in Maine twice for moose. The first time I ever put in, I put one chance in and got drawn. I almost didn’t go until I found out how hard it was to draw. I then decide to put in three years after my first tag and I drew again. It can happen. I now have 14 points in New Hampshire, 5 points in Maine and I have been applying to New Brunswick for about 6 or 7 years but haven’t drawn. I actually hope every year that I don’t get drawn until my son is old enough to go with me. I took my father with me when I drew and he had the time of his life. That was his only guided hunt he went on and passed away shortly after. I will never forget that trip. I hope to make those kind of memories with son one day.

Congrats on going twice. How did you do then?

just go on a newfoundland  moose hunt no draw outfitters have license you can shoot bull or cow have gone to arluk outfitters great hunt and I am going back again sept 22-27 2019 see my other hunts on old site

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nomad said:

Probably one of the cheapest quality "big game" hunts that you can go on.  Sure, the license is about 600 total , but then you can just drive up there with a friend or two and hunt.   Kill, the moose and bring it back.

Sure, there are some additional costs in there also, but still not too bad, if you don't get a guide, butcher it yourself, and just put the rack on a plaque.

Aren´t you only allowed to hunt with a guide if you´re a non-resident?!?

That alone makes it expensive!

1 minute ago, Black Bear Bowhunter said:

I don’t think so.  If you win a permit in the lottery, you can DIY hunt yourself.

Nomad (I think) mentioned in another thread that it is worth it to hire a guide.  You don’t know the land, area, or have a reasonable amount of time to scout it out.  Guides do all of that work in addition to helping you get several hundred pounds of meat safely out of the woods.  Most will guide you and offer a refund if you don’t see an animal.

I took his advice and have it in my head that if I do win a moose lottery, I am hiring a guide to increase the chances of me filling that tag.  I probably won’t pull another lottery tag in my lifetime, and $600 is a very expensive bowl of tag soup.

However, if you don’t want to spend the coin, there’s nothing stopping you from doing a DIY hunt.

I've drawn 2 times in the last 15yrs the first I DIY and didnt harvest a moose. The second time I hired a guide and was successful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Black Bear Bowhunter said:

Guide is not required for a non-resident.

• Like 2

No one I know. Saw someone from andover & Blairstown drew

No tag for me this year. I already drew twice but I was hoping lightning  would strike three times.

No tag for me again. I even have 80 points and bought 10 more this year. BASTARDS!!! :banghead:

Some dude with my last name won.  I'll take that as a sign that my odds are getting better as Maine is getting richer.

1 hour ago, JJoe said:

Unlucky year number 20....Always next year.

That's too bad.  You must have quite a few points by now.